Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How to fit AU seats to a xFalcon (with pics)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

Heyo,

Up until about 3 months ago i had a racing bucket seat in my car, unfortuntly it was mostly white, which looked aweful in the otherwise black/dark gray interior so I put the original seats in. Comfortable as they are, i've been missing the way that a racing seat hugs you, and have been shopping around but most race seats i;ve seen are rather hard and lumpy and tend to poke you in funny places, like sides of the leg. I then found a nice pair of black AU Fairmont Ghia seats! I fell in love with them and snaped them up.

I took out the passenger seat and found that the AU mounts to the floor are vastly different to the original ZK fairlane seats:

Posted Image

the AU seats hole are much further apart, what to do? i considered drilling holes in the floor of my car but there already where 4 perfectly good holes there from the previous seat which go through strengthening ribs under the car. So i had to came up with a way to use them. Since the bum part AU seats appears lower then ZK seats, i needed something that would also raise the seats about 40-50mm.

So i bought some 50x50mm square section steel and cut it up to go under the AU seat rails, drilled holes in the top and had threaded rod welded to the sides to go into the original holes in the floor:

Posted Image

I spray painted them black and attached to the AU seat:

Posted Image

They fit great, but now the tricky bit, do they fit in the holes in the floor? Especially since i used 3/8" threaded rod and the original bolts that hold the seat in where only 5/16". I put them in and they slid in beutifully:

Posted Image

It was then a simple matter of sitting the AU seats on top and doing up all the bolts.

The result:

Posted Image

I'm quite pleased with the result, the seat match the interior, are comfortable and hug you nicely without being difficult to get in and out of the car.

I'm also selling my old seats, they are in very good condition, have a look:

http://www.xfalcon.c...27484#post27484

Regards
Rene.

#2 misterxe

misterxe
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:32 AM

sticky this!, awsome work dude, thanks for explaining it so well!

#3 TUF250

TUF250
  • PipPipPip
  • 2330 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

great thread buddy. well done. looks terrific and a definate match to the ZK

#4 DXD351

DXD351
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts
  • Car:XB, XD, BA, 4x4

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

top explanation mate. You should be the xfal translator!!

#5 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

Heyo,

Thanks for the great responce guys, i didn't think anyone would be too interested to be honest :)

Now that the seats are in i've run into a little snag, they are about 1cm higher then the original seats, and the original seats were pretty high for, my hair brushes the celing which isn't helped by having a lower celing hight due to factory sun roof and me being 6"2'.

I'm thinking i might have to lower the seat some how...

Ren.

#6 crazy2287

crazy2287
  • Administrator
  • 4714 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:Ford Falcon XF

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

Nice work!!! Are the seats better? nice n connnfffyyyyyyyy? :P
"Your X has a red book value of 50 cents - but you still love her and can't bear the thought of the 1000+ hours of restoration... being taken by some thoughtless knob who carelessly shits on your world... The value is to the owner." - XFEvil

#7 XF0747

XF0747
  • PipPipPip
  • 10321 posts
  • Car:XF Ghia Turbo

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

good stuff man, at least everyone else will now have an idea on how to do this conversion

Chris' Porting Service
Cylinder Head & Manifold Porting
Street & Race Engines
0404 626 742

Posted Image

#8 KLR250

KLR250
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13934 posts
  • Car:Humber snipe

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:25 PM

Heyo,

Thanks for the great responce guys, i didn't think anyone would be too interested to be honest :)

Now that the seats are in i've run into a little snag, they are about 1cm higher then the original seats, and the original seats were pretty high for, my hair brushes the celing which isn't helped by having a lower celing hight due to factory sun roof and me being 6"2'.

I'm thinking i might have to lower the seat some how...

Ren.

easiest way would be to use some 25mm x 50mm box and make the mounts all over again
good work btw, very tidy
Xfalcon Retard hall of fame: TUCKER :hihi:
Tuckers Sump
Build Thread
Posted Image

#9 djr1718

djr1718
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

Great idea I reckon it could be done on any seat, know off a AU falcon getting wrecked might do that myself.

#10 Pane

Pane
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

G'day

Thats a great write up. I'm in the stages of a similar project for my ute. I'm using 50mm by 40mm 5mm angle to do the same job. I have made mine slightly lower cause i think the standard seats in the ute are a little high. Ive got a set of grey fairmont seats out of a ba series one.

I see that you welded a plate half way down the threaded rod to get the brackets the same height as original. I hadn't thought of that, i was gona use more angle to get the height right but i may steal your idea now.

Very informative write up, love it.

Cheers
If its too low your too tall!

#11 KLR250

KLR250
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13934 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

I see that you welded a plate half way down the threaded rod to get the brackets the same height as original. I hadn't thought of that, i was gona use more angle to get the height right but i may steal your idea now.

Very informative write up, love it.

Cheers

I think he's welded a plate to a nut, thats the best way, as its fully adjustable
Tuckers Sump
Build Thread
Posted Image

#12 TUFE

TUFE
  • PipPipPip
  • 2981 posts
  • Car:XE Fairmont, XG ute, XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

Nice work, this'll come in handy when I fix the interior later this year
XE turbo
Fun for every1:aaaahh:

actually, get the whole thing done in velour. it's soo comfy

#13 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

Sorry i forgot to mention the plate and nut, KLR250 is right its a nut welded to a neat little square washer i got at the hardware, so its adjustable. I too was originally thinking of putting a bit of angle or box section there but this was quicker and easier. nut pobably doesn't even need to be welded to the washer come to think of it...

KLR250, I think you're right, making new parts using 25 x 50 is the way to go.
I'll post some more pics once its done.

Ren.

#14 DINO

DINO
  • PipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • Car:XG ute

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:46 PM

nice work dude, looks awesome.. just wondering how DIY seat conversions go with roadworthy? i want to change the seats in my ute, after my dad (big truck driver that gets quite dirty) got in and out of it everyday, for like 4 years. there quite flat, hard, dirty and and uncomfortable.. sh!t happens.

#15 Rossco

Rossco
  • PipPipPip
  • 2144 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

nice work dude, looks awesome.. just wondering how DIY seat conversions go with roadworthy? i want to change the seats in my ute, after my dad (big truck driver that gets quite dirty) got in and out of it everyday, for like 4 years. there quite flat, hard, dirty and and uncomfortable.. sh!t happens.

To Be Leagal It Requires A Engeneeres Cert

A vibrating beaver! I want one of those joeys.

#16 DINO

DINO
  • PipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • Car:XG ute

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

knew there had to be a catch, they never make it easy.

#17 Rossco

Rossco
  • PipPipPip
  • 2144 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

its just cause if you have a spill the seats and mounts have gota be able to take the force of a persons body being thrown around

A vibrating beaver! I want one of those joeys.

#18 KLR250

KLR250
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13934 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

yeah, but you dont have to be a rocket scientist either, compare the stud sizes on a shit X series seat to the new frames rene has fabricated, its over engineered if anything,
id probably use high tensile threads if i was to change anything
Tuckers Sump
Build Thread
Posted Image

#19 XF_Falcon

XF_Falcon
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:12 AM

looks great buddy :)

Posted Image

#20 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

I've finally made the lower rails:

Posted Image

They are made from 20x50mm steel and now my head is pretty far from the ceiling.

The originals are now up for grabs, one pair of adaptors to fit one AU seat into a X-falcon, they cost me $35 in materials and welding so if i could get that for them i'd be happy postage would be about $8 to most places in Australia:

Posted Image

If you are 6 feet tall or less these would be fine for you. I'm 6"2' and my head was a bit too close to the ceiling for my liking. When fitted you'll be sitting about 1cm higher than the standard X-falcon seat.

cya
Rene.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users