• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 xfute

xfute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts
  • Car:xf.xb.ea

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

hey guys thought ill do this right up scince im bored shitless at home this will be a quick how to guide on converting your xf to a v8 with out taking a slege hammer to your fire wall lol

WHAT WILL YOU NEED: v8 engine mounts, t5 gear box crossmember, the v8 it self with all the bits and a 3core radiatior to keep things cool

STEP 1: remove old engine and paint ready to fix the v8 engine mounts in enigne mounts bolt straght in because the xf still has the holes in the cross member for the v8

clean bay
Posted Image

v8 engine mounts
Posted Image

#2 xfute

xfute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

STEP 2: cut heater hose back to fire wall (u may not need to do this but i did) lower the engine in and connect up the heater hoses to the air con (helpfull hint place extractors in bay then lower engine)

engine and box going in
Posted Image

heater hoses connected up the the air con pipes
Posted Image

cut back heater hoses
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by xfute, 30 November 2008 - 03:49 PM.

#3 xfute

xfute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:37 PM

STEP 3: if you are useing the c4 auto box you will need to mod the stock auto so the c4 holes line up or fit a t5 crossmember that just needs to be spun around 180 and it will bolt straght up scince i had a t5 crossmember spare i used it.

t5 crossmeber
Posted Image

#4 xfute

xfute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

Step 4: bolt up the tail sharft the stock 6 bangger tail sharft and diff will bolt straght in with no problems
Step 5: fit all the wireing and fuel lines ect the wireing may need to be extended
step 6: fit a 3 core radatior and use xd or xe hoses
step 7: may need to replace front springs (i didnt need to i am running lovels super lows 6cyl ones with 19s and i dont have any rubbing or scraping)
step 7: start up and have fun

there might be some things i missed out but this is just a simple how to thread so if u got any questions ill answer them on here cheers

2core radiator vs 3 core
Posted Image

#5 Kadoss

Kadoss
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

Hey Man, Did you use the condensor as the heater core?? Thats a good idea. Did ya have to change your heater controls on ya dash??

#6 xfute

xfute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:01 PM

yeah i used the aircon evaporator as the heater core works heeps better then my normal heater did lol i just use the air con controls when i want to use the heater lol

Edited by xfute, 30 November 2008 - 09:58 PM.

#7 Kadoss

Kadoss
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:35 PM

i tried to stay away from xf conversion for that reason, now you said that i feel stupid for not thinking of it first!!! lol

#8 XF_Freak

XF_Freak
  • PipPipPip
  • 2307 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:V8 XF Project Car

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

yeah i used the aircon condenser as the heater core works heeps better then my normal heater did lol i just use the air con controls when i want to use the heater lol

Those switches inside for the A/C are a vacuum operated switch. Pull out that part of the dash and just swap the air lines over and then it won't read incorrectly.

#9 xfute

xfute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

wow u learn something new evey day

#10 grimka

grimka
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Car:1986 Ford XF v8 Wagon. Car: 1989 Ford xf Ute........... Car: 1972 Ford Landliner.......

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

hey i'm not correcting you but isn't the heater controlled via the steel cable running from the temp adjuster on the air controls, and doesn't the vacuum lines only control the switch between air con and normal air????? i may be wrong as i don't know to much on this subject and if i am id like to see a tutorial if someone has done it. as i'm currently undergoing a v8 conversion, thanks

dude honestly if ur after power u probably better getting a hq tonner and drop a big chev in there, i have a friend here in binnaway who "worked" a 351 to go drag racing in and my xr6 goes around it like its sitting still

#11 Stretch

Stretch
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • Car:Turbo XF & EA Wagon

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:15 PM

heater tap is vacuum actuated.
The air con part inside the cab is an evaporator, not a condenser

WANTED: XF manual center console insert
PM me, cheers

#12 headsense

headsense
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Car:BlownXF 5.8 6/71

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

I run a factory rocker covers and the heater hoses can be reconnected without any buthering or cut backs.

In the first conversion I did i simply pulled the heater core and resoldered the hose tails to come through the fire wall a little further to the left as I was running cast M/T rocker covers to cover stud girdles and roller rockers.

Just a thought as there a few XF not fitted with factory air .

#13 xfute

xfute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

I run a factory rocker covers and the heater hoses can be reconnected without any buthering or cut backs.

In the first conversion I did i simply pulled the heater core and resoldered the hose tails to come through the fire wall a little further to the left as I was running cast M/T rocker covers to cover stud girdles and roller rockers.

Just a thought as there a few XF not fitted with factory air .

ok and you can allso turn the heater core around and drill 2 holes and push it through i cut mine back cause im running alloy heads and theres about 5mm between the head and fire wall scince i had air con that didnt work i ran the heater hoses through that but yes if you are fitting stock v8s your way will work

Edited by xfute, 30 November 2008 - 10:00 PM.

#14 Mikesxf

Mikesxf
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Car:351 xf falcon

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

just wondering are alloy heads different to cast in terms of size and clearance. your heads are sooo close to the firewall. On my clevo xf there is a good 30mm clearance.

#15 xfute

xfute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

i think they are i never sat them side buy side but im pretty sure the alloy heads are bigger in terms of size and clearance the rocker covers make it look close but where the heads are theres probley 20mm clerence

Edited by xfute, 01 December 2008 - 05:43 PM.

#16 headsense

headsense
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Car:BlownXF 5.8 6/71

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

I wondered the same thing , Id not bothered to look recently but thought the orginal XF outlets exit just above the top of the head casting at the rocker cover gasket face.

Any chance the T5 crossmember may have changed the inclination of the motor/gearobx from front to back and maybe closed this gap up slightly ? This would apply if the gearbox mounting pad sits slightly lower then previous ?

No matter , if it works it works

#17 xfute

xfute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

Any chance the T5 crossmember may have changed the inclination of the motor/gearobx from front to back and maybe closed this gap up slightly ? This would apply if the gearbox mounting pad sits slightly lower then previous ?

No matter , if it works it works[/QUOTE]

yeah maby this is the case the t5 braket could be different hights to the normal auto one wich will cause it to be sorta like a seesaw we fitted new rubber to the crossmember wich should push the engine away a bit more but thats where it ended up

#18 grimka

grimka
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Car:1986 Ford XF v8 Wagon. Car: 1989 Ford xf Ute........... Car: 1972 Ford Landliner.......

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

hey xfute just curious is the engine mount that bolts to the chassis the same for clevo and windsor? also what model xfalcons ones fit xf

dude honestly if ur after power u probably better getting a hq tonner and drop a big chev in there, i have a friend here in binnaway who "worked" a 351 to go drag racing in and my xr6 goes around it like its sitting still

#19 351hoon

351hoon
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Car:xe 302 ute

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

this sint about the xf converesion but i have a 6 cylinder xd with the borgwarner, is the crossmember the same for wen i put my v8 in or is there goin to be a diffrence witht he c4 ?
SKID PIG

wanted xd or xe in mandurah area

http://www.xfalcon.c...read.php?t=5985

#20 xfute

xfute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

hey xfute just curious is the engine mount that bolts to the chassis the same for clevo and windsor? also what model xfalcons ones fit xf

yeah they are dude i know for certain the xd and xes ones will fit and i allso herd the xa xb and xc fit but im not certain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users