• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#81 81foxdwagon

81foxdwagon
  • PipPipPip
  • 1464 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

For interests sake..

Was reading the auto electrical section of the forums and someone was asking about fitting an EA alternator. To do this you need a custom top bracket.

Basically its the stock X-Flow one, ground back at the top so it doesnt foul on the top radiator hose. After grinding back I have reinforced it by welding extra plate on the front and back:

Posted Image

Also another minor update...

EDIS sucks. The EF trigger sensors are useless, you have to get them about 0.5mm away from the trigger wheel so that they reliably trigger. I went to reset my base timing today and couldnt get the damn thing right, it either hit the sensor, scraped the sensor, or was too far away and didnt trigger. OR the timing was out.

Im told you can get 3rd party sensors that work 2-3mm away. Might see if I can score one of these. In the meantime I ripped the edis out and put the XE dizzy back in.

I then did a burnout on the EF sensor and went about my day.
X-Flow turbo... now here. More Pics & Vid added 16/6
http://www.xfalcon.c...read.php?t=8585

Budget Spec Ute - More pics added 16/1/10
http://www.xfalcon.c...ead.php?t=11144

#82 81foxdwagon

81foxdwagon
  • PipPipPip
  • 1464 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

Ive neglected this thread too long... fallen all the way back to page 3 :tongue:

Well I finally have some time to work on the wagon again. I havent really been using it much over the last 4 weeks. The driveability has been a bit poor, mixtures were terrible and the such. Plus the exhaut was too loud.

Thought today was a good day to do something about these problems!

Firstly I consulted my friend the internet as to why my impco 425 mixer runs super lean off boost (were talking 18:1). A few guys have talked about boost referencing the idle circuit to fix this up. Thought this was a good place to start, so out with the drill and tap:

Posted Image

As this shot shows, ive simply taken off the idle cover, tapped a 1/8BSPT thread in it and plumbed into the balance line.

Posted Image

Took it for a drive and I couldnt believe the difference. No lean mixutures ANYWHERE. No exhaust crackle. Also the turbo lag is much better since its running 15:1 mixtures off boost now. So theres one for the 425 owners out there who want to go turbo. Boost reference your idle circuit.

Spent the rest of the day fitting a little hotdog resonator into the exhaust. Below is some pics of cutting and shutting the exhaust:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here is the final product... All painted and looking sleeper spec.

Posted Image\

Tomorrow its time to build up my new thermo controller and make a new cowling for the thermo fan.

#83 roamin

roamin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:SlowXe

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

**** hot mate. keeps the updates coming. though im slack on my thread. real slack lol

need to add some **** into mine aswell.

whens boost kicking in now? what rpm. have you got some more boost into yet? mines a stocker motor aswell. running 10psi. dont be shy have a stab :)

Posted Image

#84 81foxdwagon

81foxdwagon
  • PipPipPip
  • 1464 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

Cheers mate!

Im still running 7psi. I want to install some decent valve springs and retainers before cranking up the boost anymore. Dont really want a valve to dissapear just yet. I will then step it up to 10psi and see how she goes.

Seriously though a 7psi its a mean machine. I cant imagine how it will go with 12psi, balanced bottom end, turbo grind cam and headwork. Next 6mnths im going to try to arrange all this gear. These motors just LOVE the turbo!

With the better mixtures im spooling at about 2100,2200rpm. Its not so much earlier as it is smoother. As soon as it spools the boost goes straight up to 7psi like a rocket. Before it was sluggish, then you got this massive surge of power once the mixtures picked up at about 2psi.

#85 roamin

roamin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • Car:SlowXe

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

nice work. sounds like its all going well for you.

i have had a couple of fun cars in the past but for some reason i always wanted to drive a turbo crossy.

when i had the option to buy this one i couldnt resist.

there alot of fun though i want to change a couple of things on mine. one is definatly the exhaust manifold. i still beleive that with this manifold its part of the reason as to why im a bit slow on making boost. evan once boost has started it feels a bit slow to getting to full boost.

i will fix it soon enough.

i love it with the c series auto with the convertor and full manual. alot of fun.

atm my old man and i are fitting all the electric windows and electric seat basis and mirrors and so on.

it never ends. will hopefully have the new black carpet this week too.

its great to see your like me and the old boy and get your hands dirty and do everything you can at home.

top effort mate.

Posted Image

#86 PSI_LTD

PSI_LTD
  • PipPipPip
  • 2852 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

you should cope with 10-12 psi fine, but keep the revs down.

you're right about the boost difference. just wait til you hit 12 psi.
'01 BMW M3 - in storage
'85 zl turbo - in storage - for sale!! PM ME
daily: size 13 feet

#87 tucker

tucker
  • PipPipPip
  • 1940 posts
  • Car:XB, DC LTD daily

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:29 PM

i wish i knew how to do all that myself :, saves heaps of cash!

#88 81foxdwagon

81foxdwagon
  • PipPipPip
  • 1464 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

Havent done as much on the car as I would have liked to over the last 2 days. Radiator is out and im templating up a new fan cowling. The basic structure is built, needs a lot of work still though :(

#89 KLR250

KLR250
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13934 posts
  • Car:Humber snipe

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:43 AM

Howd this car going? Ive re-read the whole thread again, and just noticed i missed a lot of the edis install. Have you built your controller yet? I also had clearence issues with my trigger wheel to, ended up machining further into the balancer and also grinding my timing cover down a tad, worked well, still working on my mount, which will be welded to the cover, having a bit of trouble incorporating some adjustability into it atm, need to think on it some more.
anyways, its been a great read, lots of hints and tips for other guys planning a similar thing

My setups a bit differnt to yours
6 coils from an LS1, which have built in ignitiors and will fire when 5V is applied, they will fire of a very low level signal to, even with two coils connected together in waste spark theres no loss of spark energy at all, duration of 5V is dwell. The beuty of these is theyll fire directly off the 3 LEDs on MS, they just need to be configured as spark outs with the msnsextra code. im trying to set it all up on the bench, but it got cold and i got unmotorvated lol

also, is there a particular reason you went to that thermo fan? I ran thermo's for 4 years, and ended up going back to a new viscous hub and plastic fan, Nothing beats it when your runninga turbo, engine bay temps are always kept down, Ive definatly gone off thermo's now, no more heat cycling and voltage drains
also, i noticed you used copper line for the drain, it looks a little small, but hard to tell in the pic, how big is it? you really want 19mm or over, or youll end up doing a seal down the track

Great writeup, its a credit to ya!
Xfalcon Retard hall of fame: TUCKER :hihi:
Tuckers Sump
Build Thread
Posted Image

#90 81foxdwagon

81foxdwagon
  • PipPipPip
  • 1464 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

Hey mate,

Been a while since ive updated here!

In reply to your post about EDIS I have 90% finished the EDIS controller. I am using a PIC microcontroller which ive programmed using the PIC C language (Assembly code sucks). The overall system simulates fine and ive done some bench testing which supports this.

I still have to actually build the circuit and test it in the car. This means I will need to factor in noise suppression, some power electronics etc etc. Not too hard, but time consuming. Im planning to get this done in the next few months. Time is tight at the moment (see below).

Oh and about the oil return. It was 1/2" which was too small. It also was a PITA to fit and get to line up. Im using a 6boost manifold which is 99% brilliant but has a bad flaw. If you sight down beneath the turbo (where the oil drain is) there is two exhaust runners. To get the drain to the sump it has to do two 45 degree bends and still comes damn close to the runners. I have replaced my 1/2" crappipe with a 5/8 gates extreme hose, sleeved in hi temp hose sleeve, and then wrapped in header wrap. Its not going to melt :) I would have like to go 3/4, but there is no way id get past the runners.

Also ive gotten rid of the thermo fan for the very reason you said. Underbonnet temps at idle were huge. Plus with a cowling the fan does an awesome job. Main thing I hate is removing that stupid fan. Mine isnt a clutchfan, and I always skin my knuckles on the radiator core!

At the moment ive just finished the following:
- Heavy duty clutch fitted.
- E-Series Diff Swap (BEST MOD EVER!!)
- More heatshielding around the turbo.
- More heatshielding around oil return line.
- New radiator
- WHOLE new front end. All balljoints, rods, steeringbox... all new.
- Broke single rail shifter (T5 anyone??)

Ive still got a massive list to go. Will post up pics as they become available!

#91 Cruzr

Cruzr
  • PipPipPip
  • 3862 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:42 PM

Excellent write ups and pics!! Coming along well!!
Posted Image

#92 blackxt

blackxt
  • PipPipPip
  • 1878 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

how quite is it now with that exhaust i would love to here clip, all mine runs is a hot dog, dumped at the diff and yeah its loud, ive been thinking of making a tail pipe and running a mufferler in that and have it flanged so i can run with the hot dog when i feel like it

eny way this thing awsome, and btw u will love 10psi, mine runs 10 psi atm on stock motor with valve springs and thats it and it flys to bad about the slipping clutch soon as it hit 6 psi in third slips and in ever gear after that

10 psi killed it in a day wasnt the best from the start but

MAD AS customs"thats mad as yo" :yelrotflmao:

i wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself

#93 81foxdwagon

81foxdwagon
  • PipPipPip
  • 1464 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:38 PM

how quite is it now with that exhaust i would love to here clip, all mine runs is a hot dog, dumped at the diff and yeah its loud, ive been thinking of making a tail pipe and running a mufferler in that and have it flanged so i can run with the hot dog when i feel like it

Even with the muffler its still pretty loud. The muffler isnt quite a straight through, its basically inlet, then a 45 degree bend, then outlet.

However with the extra hotdog at crusing RPM (like 100km/h, 60km/h) and light throttle its as quiet as an XF with a cat-converter. When you give it stick it winds up again.

I still would like it a little quieter but there is no more room for mufflers in my exhaust.

Oh and ive been meaning to try 10psi, but im not 100% on the valve springs that are in this motor. They are supposed to be aftermarket, but dont know the type. I will be doing a track day soon so i'll keep it at 6psi for a while longer (easier on the track as there will be some high revs pulled).

I feel your pain with the clutch too. My last one was a brand new PBR stock kit. It held up well for what it was, only slipped under heavy acceleration. Replaced it now with a HD pressure plate and slightly better friction material. Havent tested it much but a run around the block showed it to be ok.

#94 KLR250

KLR250
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13934 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

stock springs hack 12 psi no worries, especially if revs are kept below 4800, i didnt have float issues until 16psi
Tuckers Sump
Build Thread
Posted Image

#95 RSWEPN

RSWEPN
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:06 PM

nice car mate...looks good.

how does it go?

nice to see someone doing there own fabrication work.

#96 PSI_LTD

PSI_LTD
  • PipPipPip
  • 2852 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

word of warning with that oil return. is the hose youre using rated for high temp oil?
otherwise its off to pirtek for special turbo oil drain hose
'01 BMW M3 - in storage
'85 zl turbo - in storage - for sale!! PM ME
daily: size 13 feet

#97 jazza312

jazza312
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Car:xd wag & nc lane

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

awesome project mate, u've done a great job.
<br>

I think they named oranges before they names carrots.

#98 KOD85

KOD85
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Car:dads 81 XD sedan

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

yeh mate very tidy now, great to see how far it has come along way many painful nites i bet , iam just starting but manly an engine change

#99 KLR250

KLR250
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13934 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

just noticed your VR sensor is facing the other way, did you have to change the polarity of the wires at all?
Tuckers Sump
Build Thread
Posted Image

#100 81foxdwagon

81foxdwagon
  • PipPipPip
  • 1464 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:43 PM

word of warning with that oil return. is the hose youre using rated for high temp oil?
otherwise its off to pirtek for special turbo oil drain hose

Yep, rated to 300degC, its a hi-temp hydraulic oil hose.

I cut off a test piece of hose, held it up to a heatgun set at 400deg. Then I touched it onto the tip of the heatgun (which was about 300deg at the time). Didnt melt, deform or go rigid. Would be so much simpler though if I had a turbo manifold which allowed for the oil drain to go straight down..... I would use steel with a small rubber joiner.

As for the VR sensor I thought it was mounted the right way? Its an EF one, and the part number faces outwards. I didnt reverse polarity or anything. Maybe this is why I had a big headache trying to get the thing to trigger at 10deg..... It always seemed to be 10 deg wrong no matter what I did (until I free-hand aligned it).

Spent this afternoon making a wrap around heatshield for the turbo exhaust housing. Will take some pics tomorrow (dark now), but it keeps the heat off the strut tower and bonnet which is brilliant.

Thanks for all the other comments guys. Im still not 100% happy with the car at the moment. Seems like its not making boost as early as it used to, and it also feels a bit of a slug. Im 90% convinced my EB wagon tailshaft is out of balance (has a vibration at 55km/h). This wouldnt help engine power. Also would the extra rotating mass of the bigger diff make any noticable difference to off the line pickup?

I looked all around the turbo manifold for exhaust leaks, couldnt find anything. Checked the cooler piping for leaks, that was fine too. Its still making a full 7psi, so I dont think its a piping leak. I cant hear the blowoff valve continually hissing either, so I dont think its leaking either.

Im going to check timing and all that crap later on. Its running, so im just going to enjoy it for a bit longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users