#1 Daf

Daf
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • State:ACT
  • Car:1979 XD 351

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:10 PM

Hi guys,

Looking for some info.  The drivers door handle finally broke (after 2 yrs of ownership I think I got it pretty good).  So I went out to Rare Spares and bought a new one hoping for a quick fix and then I would repair the old one and keep it for spares.

However they are different.  See pics: original on top and new one on bottom.  The lever is a different shape, so the rod that connects to it wont reach the new handle.  It's about 10 mm higher on the new lever vs the old one.

If what I bought is a XD-XF handle what do I have on the car??  Why is there a difference?

Cheers

Daf

Attached Files

#2 crazy2287

crazy2287
  • Administrator
  • 4905 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:Ford Falcon XF

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:45 PM

Hmmmmm... The XD-Xe-XF use a slightly different handle to the XG on. I have purchased them before and had them packaged wrong.

Also, looking at your old handle, it looks like it's just broken at the rivet. You can drill it out and screw in a tek screw or metal self tapper and washer. you may need to play with washers sizes and filing the pivot till you get a good fit. But if you do it right its usually a permanent fix. Stronger than factory after doing this mod.

• Daf likes this
"Your X has a red book value of 50 cents - but you still love her and can't bear the thought of the 1000+ hours of restoration... being taken by some thoughtless knob who carelessly shits on your world... The value is to the owner." - XFEvil

#3 Daf

Daf
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • State:ACT
  • Car:1979 XD 351

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:27 AM

Cheers Crazy2287.  That's exactly what I did, drilled it out & stuck a 4mm bolt through it.  Still not sure what type of handle I have on my car though.  All the pics I can find on the internet for a XD-XF handle match what I've bought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users