#1 Olly_short

Olly_short
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:Xg falcon

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:01 PM

hi guys need some advice.

ive got a 1992 xf falcon with an automotic column shifter in it. im looking at converting it into a manual, ust want to know if this is even possible to begin with and also what is involved in doing it.

cheers

#2 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4149 posts
  • Car:XF ute

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:03 AM

yes, you can convert it to manual, on the floor or column shift. 

you'll need all the parts required, why do you want a manual? i regretted changing mine to manual, was a lot of work. 

you'd probably struggle to find a parts car for all the bits these days

#3 crazy2287

crazy2287
  • Administrator
  • 4905 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:Ford Falcon XF

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:21 AM

auto column shift to 3 on tree manual will require a column swap. 
If your going floor shift you can just keep your current column and just mount a trans hump on the floor for the shifter.

"Your X has a red book value of 50 cents - but you still love her and can't bear the thought of the 1000+ hours of restoration... being taken by some thoughtless knob who carelessly shits on your world... The value is to the owner." - XFEvil

#4 Olly_short

Olly_short
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:51 PM

ive got a floor shft manual xg ute that i can use as a parts car. is it just a matter of swapping over the box, cutting a hole for the shifter, mounting up a pedal box and swapping the computer?

#5 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4149 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:24 AM

ive got a floor shft manual xg ute that i can use as a parts car. is it just a matter of swapping over the box, cutting a hole for the shifter, mounting up a pedal box and swapping the computer?

You'd need to find a crossflow T5 bell housing to mount the gearbox, also will probably need a T5 XF gearbox cross member, the rest would all bolt in.

your XF computer doesn't control auto, its a 3 speed non electronic(so that can stay), the XG computer is heaps different

what's wrong with the XG? most people would just fix the XG and have the "better everything" (personally i like the carby XF pushrod engine better, especially on LPG) 

don't forget to buy a spigot bearing for the XF engine(won't be able to remove the XG one to be reused) 

#6 Olly_short

Olly_short
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:29 PM

You'd need to find a crossflow T5 bell housing to mount the gearbox, also will probably need a T5 XF gearbox cross member, the rest would all bolt in.

your XF computer doesn't control auto, its a 3 speed non electronic(so that can stay), the XG computer is heaps different

what's wrong with the XG? most people would just fix the XG and have the "better everything" (personally i like the carby XF pushrod engine better, especially on LPG) 

don't forget to buy a spigot bearing for the XF engine(won't be able to remove the XG one to be reused

is there a lot of f**king around involved? xg isn't running right that why I'm not throwing that engine in the xf

#7 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4149 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:14 AM

I've done it over a weekend in the past. These days I'd just leave the auto in...they work,taxis did 1,000,000kms with autos ... might have been replaced a couple of times or so..

Why do you want the 5speed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users