9 replies to this topic

#1 TUFGQ

TUFGQ
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • State:NZ
  • Car:Two

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:46 AM

Hi guys, I've searched threads about this and it's helped but now i'm stuck!

I'm pulling it out to get to the heater box, I've got the outer dash removed but now have the big black 

section behind it. It's loose but no way can i get the fuse box relays through the hole.

Also the heater centre console is loose but in the way (wires still connected).

Plus something seems to be restricting movement around the handbrake area.

Thought this was going to be relatively straight forward  :doh:

#2 torana74

torana74
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:XD s pack

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:17 PM

I don't understand  what you mean about getting the fuse  box relays through the hole.  To remove the dash in an Xf.. remove glovebox and disconnect door wiring, aerial,heater cable and wiring to heater box and the vacuum line plug on heater box, the  6? screws near the windscreen under the screw covers, 10mm bolts at the kick panels, and 2 behind centre console behind the plastic cover (have to remove console first), Also remove the bracket. 13mm steering column bolts, handbrake lever (2 nutson floor and one near side of box).  Disconnect steering column plugs and  wiring behind the fuse box and drivers door.(Fuse box will come out with dash together)Also vacuum line to drivers airflap.  We used to cut this near the heater box and use a joiner. Might be easier to do when dash half lifted out.

To do the HVAC (heater box).. in engine bay remove the heater hoses, AC pipes/tx valve, disconnect compressor wire and heater tap vacuum hose along with the other main vacuum feeding inside. 10mm nuts on fire wall. Dont forget there's one on the drivers side of centre too. I can't remember how many nuts  total (5/6) but they are ones with the penny washer behind them.  Inside,It should be about ready  to fall out.  On  the driver side of box (near the handbrake) there is a section held on with a philips screw that does the demister drivers(iirc).  I used to remove this part first as it made it easier to get the required angle to pull the box out.

Used to do these all the time in the hey day...23mins was the unofficial worksplace record removal  time.  Mind you a lot of previous attempts :)

#3 TUFGQ

TUFGQ
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

It's all good thanks, got it sussed eventually. I went about it the wrong way initially so went back to square 1.

It's out, bit of a mission for the first time having removed one. Now just have to remove the heater box and should be simple as you say.

This car has had the 4.1 removed a long time ago and now has a Cleveland hence why i'm doing the heater box.

A previous owner had cut the heater pipes off at the firewall, just hope I can get to the firewall bolts on the drivers side.

I've taken pics on my phone but was unable to post them up for some reason.

#4 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4158 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF ute

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:05 AM

can probably jack up the gearbox with the mount undone to tilt the engine forward a bit for bolt access. 

the gregorys book was fairly good for the XE dash/heater box when i removed one once(almost identical process for XF XG .. just has vent covers on top of the dash to remove first and plugs in a different spot)

#5 TUFGQ

TUFGQ
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:11 PM

can probably jack up the gearbox with the mount undone to tilt the engine forward a bit for bolt access. 

the gregorys book was fairly good for the XE dash/heater box when i removed one once(almost identical process for XF XG .. just has vent covers on top of the dash to remove first and plugs in a different spot)

Got it sorted last weekend thanks, was actually relatively quite easy just I went about it the hard way initially lol.

Heater now works fine bar the fact I don't have the original engine to provide vacuum for the heater positioning.

#6 TUFGQ

TUFGQ
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:36 PM

The dash removal and heater core flip went well, everything back together and the heater works primo!

Everything has been good for a couple of months - but yesterday I got dash cluster problems.

It's an XF Fairmont with the rev counter and rpm gauges to the left with needle indicators.

My fuel/oil pressure and water temp gauges are electronic and together in one section to the right of the speedo.

The rev counter works, the dash lights up when the opposum spotters are on.

BUT....the fuel/oil and coolant section is zilch, not lit up at all, no gauges whatsoever.

I grabbed another cluster from a wrecker today and plugged it in - same result.

I've checked the fuses and because i've had the dash out etc I know that the earth wires are well connected.

Is there another relay somewhere that controls the dash cluster electrics or a fuse somewhere else?

#7 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4158 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:20 AM

I can't remember for sure if there were 2 earths in the cluster wiring or more but I vaguely remember there being a couple joined not far in that loom..one of the pins(with wire) may have even come out of the plug .
Id have a bit of a look within 30cm of the loom to the cluster. ..unwrap the tape even

#8 TUFGQ

TUFGQ
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:01 AM

I forgot to update this - turned out it WAS just a fuse issue lol.

#9 TUFGQ

TUFGQ
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:04 AM

I've lost the ability to have vacuum for the heating controls etc due to the engine change.

But I still have all the hoses behind the controls, is there a way I can restore the vacuum system that the controls rely on

for deflecting the airflow etc?.

#10 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4158 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:40 AM

on XFs there's 2 main hoses running the hvac setup in the engine bay, a black one that gets vacuum from the engine for the dash, and a green one that opens the heater tap(or closes it) 

if they aren't there, you'll be starting behind the glovebox, see if they have been cut? or pulled out of the socket.. fun times

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users