#1 DREEMN

DREEMN
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • State:NZ
  • Car:1980 XD Falcon

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Hi from New Zealand

Ive have tried searching and google and cant get any answers so i'm hoping someone here can help me 

I brought a "running" 302c to put in my 6cyl XD falcon, decided to pull it down for a tidy up before installation, sent the heads away for a check over to find they needed alot of work, the heads on it were open chamber so i brought a pair of recently rebuilt open chamber heads which i have now identified as 351 2v heads,  my research so far tells me that a 302c did not come with open chamber heads?? 

The engine supposedly went well although i only heard it run for about 30 seconds as it had no cooling system

I guess my question is what would be the issues in using these 351c heads on a 302c?, or would i be best to find some 302 closed chambers?  or any other ideas?

This is a low budget build and the car is only a weekend cruiser not chasing high power figures just reliability 

Thanks in advance 

#2 ken1939

ken1939
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:44 AM

If it were me I would try and find the close chamber heads,  they are the better design.  In the US they were referred to as Quench Heads.  The 302C and 351C in Oz are the same block, just different stroke and bore.  I have a 75 Falcon Ute that has a 302C in it with the close chamber heads and will do what I can to keep them and not make it a 351!   .

I know there are aftermarket heads available in aluminum that are of the same design, but if cost is an issue I think reworking a good set of stock cast irons would be ok.  Myself, I am only going for a mid 300 HP engine and I have the Borg Warner Single Rail 4 speed with it and do not want to blow it up.

#3 Gregaust

Gregaust
  • PipPipPip
  • 1738 posts
  • Car:XE Falcon

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:51 PM

Be better to find the right heads . Will be something like 1.5 point compression drop. It will work but be around 8.3:1 compression.

Just right for a turbo or supercharger :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users