#1 bvh

bvh
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:86 XF Ute

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:04 PM

Hey mates,

Apologies if this is the wrong subforum, I can either repost it or a mod can move it if need be (first post).
A couple of questions. 

Firstly, I've got an auto '86 XF Falcon Ute, and I'm wondering what's going on with it. 
I'm not so much asking for clairvoyant insight into a car you know nothing about, but more just checking if any of you enthusiasts have a hunch that the mechanics didn't... a mate sent me over, said you might have some ideas. 

I had it serviced, got the all clear, did a trip in the country, and on the way it stopped in the middle of the road - it wouldn't keep running unless you were actively accelerating.
I could start it if I was punching it in park and switched into drive immediately and kept on the fuel...

Anyway when you take your foot off the accelerator, the engine stops and the battery light comes on (had the battery tested, it's all good), the lights stay on but the power steering goes off and the car drifts in the road. 

So I get it towed to the RACV depot (hours from my house) and they keep it there for two weeks. I went to pick it up this morning and they had "tuned the fuel and emission" and allegedly put some stuff in the carby to clean it out (for 300 bucks) and said it was good to go, but in the future that it might need a carby recondition soon. It got me back to Melbourne, drove great all afternoon, and when I got back in it tonight the same thing was happening again. Any time you're not accelerating, it shuts straight off.

My XF enthusiast mates reckon it's an electrical problem, another car generalist guy thinks it might indeed be the carby... but I have no idea.

So basically my questions are:

1: Do you have any hunches? Is this a familiar sounding problem to anyone?

2: Regardless of what the issue is, should I consider chucking it in? Am I throwing good money after bad, or if I find a reliable mech do you think I'll be able to keep it on the road?

3: If it's not reliable on longer trips/as an every day vehicle, is there any chance I'd be able to get a club permit or a reduced rate Vic rego for it? Any advice there?

Thanks for your help champs.

EDIT:

If you need to know anything else about the car I'll go grab the manual etc... managed to get it back out the front of the house. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users