2 replies to this topic

#1 roofi

roofi
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF Panel Van

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

First off, I have to say I know nothing about autos, or at least I didn't until recently.....

I have a late model XF van and the auto started shifting erratically, slipping, hunting for gears etc.

The dip stick didn't seem to seat properly so I thought maybe it was low on fluid. In a quick fix attempt, I overfilled it which didn't help.

So, to cut a short story long.......I pulled off the pan and it's got a fair bit of red stuff which I'm assuming is band lining.

Also a busted clip and washer in the bottom of the pan.

Do I chuck it and get another from Pick-a-Part?

Attached File  BW40 auto pan.jpg   163.87KB   0 downloads

Pan showing red stuff. Busted clip and washer in top left corner.

#2 XT_Freek

XT_Freek
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:XT Fairmont

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:40 PM

That washer is off the dipstick. Red stuff is definitely friction material and the clip obviously belongs in the trans somewhere.
I recently rebuilt one of these transmissions (BW51), They're a pretty straightforward box. The compete kit cost me about $300, and I had to make a special tool for one part in there.

#3 roofi

roofi
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF Panel Van

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

Thanks. I figured out  the dipstick washer in a light bulb moment a couple of days ago. Can't see where the spring is from though.

I'm converting the van to T5 manual, so rebuilding is not an option......just need to keep it running until I can get the manual in.

Gave it a clean and chucked some new fluid in it......fingers crossed ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xf, band, clip, bw40, auto, slip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users