#1 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:XC 4.1L Crossy

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

Hi all,

Alright, so in another forum there was a bit of to and through in regards to what's the best way to build a crossy up. 

Over this time I have been giving thought and now I want everyone's opinions on two very different builds, and pro's and cons' they can give, as well as advice. 

Some background, this engine is in a Falcon XC, and its all about engine, once people have given advice and input on the builds, we can talk about whats the best transmission and driveline package for it.

The car is a weekend warrior, and the entire build is setup about being fun on the road, but also carving up corners, its a street machine which is also built as a light track car; say at like group events or something (NOT PRO)

Having said this, I know some people are very opinionated about not going crazy in cams because it sacrifices driving around town and idle. 

But where I live is pretty open, and like I said, its not a daily which needs to be fuel efficient and has to sit in traffic the entire trip. 

So here are the builds, I have listed what I would like to gain from the build first, then put together a kinda engine, and then possible driveline.

BUILD OPTION 1: - N/A Crossflow

Between 250-300Hp Crossflow.

6000rpm Redline - Making power close to that number

A nice free flowing revving crossflow

Bottom End:

Fully internally and externally balanced

Aftermarket Balancer

Custom made lightened flywheel

Option 1:

Stock Rods and Pistons

Zero Deck Height

Option 2:

Lighter Pistons - Stock Size

Lighter Rods

Option 3:

Lighter Pistons - Lower CC

Lighter Rods

Option 4:

Lighter Pistons - Lower CC

200 Rods

So above is multiple options, in the area of N/A, compression is the key, also as its a massive engine, making it lighter in anyway possible is also good. 

I have also read and been told, using 200 rods is beneficial in a high revving engine, If someone could explain this to me that would be great. Unless I'm wrong, then correct me.

Head:

Alloy C2 Head

40CC Bowl

Port Runners

Larger Exhaust

3 Angle Valve Grind

Double Springs

Roller Rockers

Valve Train:

Crow Cam 1465

230 IN 230 EX

LSA 113

Anti-Pump Hydraulic Lifters 

Double Row Timing Chain

Transmission:

Auto C4/4L80E with a high Torque Converter

Manual T5

Diff:

3.73 (If I go 4L80E option then I have 4 gears) 

So that the first build. 

Just a question about it, the obvious auxiliary is the alternator.

Would there be enough idle that I could run A/C, or would turning the A/C at idle just kill it???

THIS BUILD WILL BE EFI.

It will run ITB setup, because thats literally my dream. So the fuel and air demands are not a problem.

BUILD Option 2 - Turbo

Between 250-300Hp Crossflow.

5500rpm Redline - Making power close to that number

A nice free flowing revving crossflow

Bottom End:

Fully internally and externally balanced

Aftermarket Balancer

Custom made lightened flywheel

Option 1:

Stock Rods and Pistons

Zero Deck Height

Option 2:

Lighter Pistons - Stock Size

Lighter Rods

So above is multiple options, will stock pistons and rods hold turbo pressure??

If so, how much PSI has anyone run on a stock bottom end?? 

Or will i need forged gear for sure???

Turbo:

Not sure, guess its based on my need, will have one sized according tot he cam and power band, probably want power from 1500-5500rpm.

Head:

Option 1:

Alloy Head

55CC Bowl

Port Runners

Larger Exhaust

Option 2:

Iron Head (Its a Falcon XC)

55CC Bowl

Port Runners

Larger Exhaust and Intake

Valve Train:

Custom Ground Cam for Turbo

Anti-Pump Hydraulic Lifters 

Double Row Timing Chain

3 Angle Valve Grind

Double Springs

Roller Rockers

Transmission:

Auto C4/4L80E with a high Torque Converter

Manual T5

Diff:

3.73 (If I go 4L80E option then I have 4 gears) 

Turbo build has anyone done some on a crossflow, how did they like it??? 

Was it reliable, was it a stock bottom end?? Was it quick??

I read a lot of people making mean turning high RPM crossflows, not many about turbo applications. 

I wanna see how it responds.

THIS BUILD WILL RUN EFI.

Will use the adaptor to house the injectors from a XF, and then custom runners and plenum made, kinda of like a 2JZ, japanese setup.

So there they are.

I want to here peoples opinions and what they have done and there experience. 

Because I am on the fence right now/

#2 Stumps

Stumps
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Car:2010 FG XR6

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:24 PM

Ahhh now we are talking, Go turbo EFI and simply dont look back, easiest way to do so is toss the crossy and get a low kay FG xr6 turbo donk with an auto and bolt up a 4.11, it'd be much cheaper to do than a turbo crossy (not a bad idea at all just not as cheap to do) will rip the arse end out of a mack truck and happily putt around in traffic all day doing 10 litres per 100 kay when gentle on the loud pedal.

#3 87xfwagon

87xfwagon
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:xf

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

A crossflow running GAS RESEARCH throttle body, E class converter, MSD 6AL with a small turbo and 1 bar would be very cool  and

easy to setup. Then again I'm considered too conservative.

#4 Stumps

Stumps
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

What size turbo did you have in mind 87xfwagon? I reckon a GT35 off an xr6 turbo would be a nice fit, should be good for around 180-200kw's at the wheels.

The only problem I see is the OP has already fitted a fancy fuel tank with efi stuff built in, which is why i went straight for the complete FG turbo setup as he needs a new tranny as well, might as well kill a dozen or so birds with one stone, EFI, Turbo, high revving, 6 forward gears loads of room for power upgrades when needed and cheap to get hold of given the rapid drop in prices of late model falcons.

#5 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

Ahhh now we are talking, Go turbo EFI and simply dont look back, easiest way to do so is toss the crossy and get a low kay FG xr6 turbo donk with an auto and bolt up a 4.11, it'd be much cheaper to do than a turbo crossy (not a bad idea at all just not as cheap to do) will rip the arse end out of a mack truck and happily putt around in traffic all day doing 10 litres per 100 kay when gentle on the loud pedal.

A crossflow running GAS RESEARCH throttle body, E class converter, MSD 6AL with a small turbo and 1 bar would be very cool  and

easy to setup. Then again I'm considered too conservative.

Hi gents,

Give us a hand here, head studs or new head bolts???

If head studs, are these the ones to go with:

http://www.ebay.com....JgAAOSwy0JZ~m8a

#6 Stumps

Stumps
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

Really depends on how much power or boost you intend to make, never had much to do with head studs but i've built a few decent crossflows in the past that made close to 300hp and never had any issues with head bolts, so i see no reason to change but im sure others can give you more infomation on the subject.

#7 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

Really depends on how much power or boost you intend to make, never had much to do with head studs but i've built a few decent crossflows in the past that made close to 300hp and never had any issues with head bolts, so i see no reason to change but im sure others can give you more infomation on the subject.

Do you also have any advice on swapping iron head of a XC to a C2 alloy head?

#8 Stumps

Stumps
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

You'll need a new inlet manifold (hence why i said go to a 4 barrel when you swap heads) and if your extractors arent multifit (has both bolt patterns)
But other than that its a bolt on fit, you can reuse your rocker gear and rocker cover.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Falcon Crossflow, Crossflow 4.1L, Crossflow N/A, Crossflow Turbo, Falcon XC Crossflow Turbo, Crossflow Engine Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users