#1 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:XC 4.1L Crossy

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:42 AM

Hey all,

So this is a discussion maybe some of you have already had or were considering having. 

So my current suspension setup is as follows:

Front:
2 inch dropped King Springs

Adjustable Koni Shocks

27mm Swaybar

Rear

1 1/2 Inch Drop King Leaf Springs

Adjustable Koni Shocks

18mm swaybar

The car handles a bloody dream, it sticks to the road, and it carves corners nicely, while being comfortable on long distances.

I love my current setup.

So this is my question, its not so much a problem, unless I go over a bump or pot hole too fast. 

With the front suspension, because of the massive drop in suspension I have kept the spring guards on, however the suspension travel is quite a minimum. 

I'm going to stick a gopro underneath, to see exactly what the arms are doing, and see where the little travel is. 

So this is my proposition/question, I have too future paths I can take. 

The first is get rid of the stock setup, and go for the RRS setup, apart from the benefits of a lighter knuckle, bigger bearing and load capacity, it claims to reduce the unsprung weight, which makes sense. 

However, this is my concern, if I lower the car to the way it is now, I still have the issue of the lower control arm have a reduced travel distance. I could raise it a little more which I will most likely do, just to have some more ground clearance. Has anyone had experience with the RRS setup??

The benefits I see are:

Fit Wider Wheels

On the fly adjustable suspension setup

Adjustable Height

Bigger Bearing

Bigger Load Capacity

Lighter Knuckle

Less Unsprung weight

The downfalls:

Still using stock arm setup

If lowered still limited suspension travel

So the downfall list is pretty small, and raising the ride height will rid the issue with suspension travel, and looking at there site, the setup comes with a skinnier lower arm, so there is more space for suspension travel. But like I said, anyone with some experience with this setup, tell me if they noticed a difference in the car, and how low it is, and what the travel is like.

The second option is as follow:

There is a mustang kit from the states, which uses the same setup and dimensions as the Falcon XC, it has a lower and upper arm, its lighter and stronger, and and fully adjustable upper arm for camber. With that as well, unsprung weight is reduced, because the coilover connects from the tower to the bottom arm, so all the weight of the suspension is sprung. 

But it uses the stock knuckle setup, now to allow me to have full suspension travel like stock, I can buy an aftermarket Mustang drop spindle, which drops 2 inches, is lighter and stronger. And is exactly the same dimensions as the current spindle (just dropped)

This means I have the car lowered 2 inches still, but have full suspension travel, allowing better suspension geometry, because the arms aren't so straight.

So all and everyone, thoughts and opinions.

Even from a science point of view, does a fully adjustable and lighter and more improved double wishbone setup beat the RRS setup???

#2 Outback Jack

Outback Jack
  • PipPipPip
  • 1088 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:XG Outback Ute

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

I think I put you onto street and track in US on xfalcon.
Thats where you saw the coilover to lower arm kit.
Thats lovely.
I think roller bearing arms reducing bind is the way to go. Stock rubbers are sooo passe... lol
Also I can put together a kit on there that is..

Roller adjustable upper arms

Roller spring saddles

Roller heavy duty lower arms

A bumpstop arm set

Adjustable trailing arms

Bilstein or Koni ...or 90/10 drag shocks.

All fitted with moog screw in ball joints.

Can land that here for around $2600 aus.

If your car handles well now.... that will make it on rails.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

5f0679eb-c1e0-42e1-b938-f63b5cd59a98_zps

You Can't park that Holden in MY Driveway.......................This is Ford Country.

I had my Ute raised when everybody was lowering theirs so I could drive over shit.

A Country Ute need to actually be able to get over a speed hump... or it's no good for the farm.

#3 crazy2287

crazy2287
  • Administrator
  • 4888 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:Ford Falcon XF

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

Hmmmmm..... There is a lot to consider here and it's good your seeking multiple sources of information and opinions.

Few things, Some of it already mentioned here: http://www.xfalcon.c...ension-options/

1. The RRS kit. It removes the upper arm, and transfers all the mid corner forces into the top of the shock tower. If you use this kit and your intention is performance for road race, then you'll need to do considerable stiffening of the front of the car, as the RRS setup has a lot more leverage over the body and will likely result in a lot of chassis movement which will screw with your geometries. I recommend keeping the upper arm. Double wishbone will likely yield better performance.

2. Moving the suspension point to the lower arm. This is unlikely to have any benefit. It not a bad thing either, But it simply makes no difference if its the upper, or lower arm that is sprung. with regards to suspension moments and geometry, Benefits are otherwise, like packaging and ease of design. If anything that kit will probably increase the unsprung weight. the upper arm is still unsprung weight, as it moves independently to the vehicle. Anything outside the fulcrum point, of anything that suspends the suspension, and moves with it, is unsprung mass.

3. Lower arm has plenty of movement up and down, The limiting issue of the lower arm is usually caster as the arm hits on the body when it's pulled too far forward when your trying to chase a lot of dynamic camber.

4. Those aftermarket upper arms would be a very good investment IMO, you get Camber and caster adjustments, and an increase in ball joint travel.

5. Using drop spindles will reduce camber gain in corners (this may or may not be something you want? it depends on what your doing and how low you want to go)

As outback jack mentioned, replacing components with roller bearing or spherical bearing, will prevent bind and give very solid geometries. I should mention that there is a kit that yields a lot of these benefits and i mentioned it in the above thread. The spring saddle is deleted and replaced with a solid bar across the upper arm, that then mounts to a spherical bearing that forms the bottom mount of the shock and spring on fully adjustable coilovers. This does reduce unsprung weight. However it wont allow you to go any lower (upper ball joint limits travel still). You can keep your upper arm, but the aftermarket adjustable tubular upper is definitely an upgrade.

"Your X has a red book value of 50 cents - but you still love her and can't bear the thought of the 1000+ hours of restoration... being taken by some thoughtless knob who carelessly shits on your world... The value is to the owner." - XFEvil

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Falcon XC, RRS Suspension, Stock Suspension, Upgrade Suspension, XC Sedan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users