Photo
- - - - -

Falcon XC and Others - Fuel Tank Upgrade

Falcon Fuel Tank Upgrade Falcon XC Fuel Tank Upgrade Crossflow Fuel Tank Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:XC 4.1L Crossy

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

Hi all,

So finally finished my little project on a fuel tank upgrade. Still has cosmetics to finish, but otherwise, its all done. 

So I thought I share the wisdom and process with you all. 

I have a Falcon XC, with a one of those huge massive fuel tanks, and the centre part for the spare wheel to go into. 

After about 2 years of fixing and repairing and fighting it, I gave up. I had this constant issue with the fuel sender leaking.

I had tried all types of gaskets makers and goops, to seal it, made custom rubber seals and all, but eventually after multiple full tanks, it would leak again.

Being as fuel is not a laughing matter, and a major safety concern, I weight up my options. 

This car in the future is most likely going EFI, or way bigger carb needs. 

So I wanted something future proof, I looked into mutiple solutions, got quotes for custom tanks, with stupid prices

Also considered racing fuel tanks, to bolt in the boot. However, considering I like my boot space, and use the car for Summer drives and getaways, I need a better solution. 

So after weeks of research, it was time to adapt and improvise, in order to get something that is full proof and awesome. 

#2 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

So here are pictures of the original tank and setup.

Uzj6Q5Q.jpg

And here is a picture of the massive hole that the tank falls into:

vXdwdMT.jpg

#3 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

So, I made myself fully custom aluminium fuel lines, 3/8 in size, and full return style setup. Up the front is a fuel Pressure gauge the adjustable fuel pressure regulator with return style setup. 

I will get some photos tomorrow of it, and the line that runs to the carby. 

I had made a previous 5/16 line setup, with an external fuel pump, but the first pump I had was wayyyy too loud. Then I got a second one, and made a full enclosure for it, to sound deaden it and to protect it from under car debre. 

Anyway, I'll get those photos. But that's the fuel line setup I have, I made it future proof for EFI setup, and it will withstand all fuel types. 

#4 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:39 PM

So after all my research, this is the tank I have chosen. 

U4Ux99g.jpg

Its a massive 86 litres, its baffled in all directions, and is suited to all fuels and EFI. It has a drop in fuel pump and sender, and well there are no holes on the bottom so no leaks. 

So seeing it, you are all probably thinking, how the hell is this going to work, well with fabrication and a will to improve and be better. 

#5 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

So here is the tank, in all its glory. 

I removed the original, and dropped the new one, now I had some thoughts on how it was going to sit. 

It is basiaclly the same shape as the original, however in a much smaller package. No because it was baffled in all directions, its orientation didn't matter. 

So I did some hard thinking and chose the orientation as in the pictures. My reasoning for this was many.

The first was it made it wayyy easier for the fuel neck setup, the second was it gives me space to put a really nice muffler, and put a resonator in the existing muffle position, giving me like a XR6 exhaust setup. 

Next was, having myself be around the 90kg mark, having this close to constant weight in the opposite corner of the vehicle, should theoretically give me more balance in the cars weight. 

So here we are, the pictures:

ZNS1QLE.jpg

326juOi.jpg

vyv03cj.jpg

#6 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

In the above photos, you could also see the position of the original fuel neck and the new position fuel neck. 

So some nice measurements and time to practice my welding. 

For the fuel neck, I had to sacrifice the original fuel neck, this was because I needed the mounting point and the vent tube that came out the side. 

So cutting it right up the top, I had the start to my new neck. It was a nice 2 1/2 inch in size, but the entry point in the tank was 2 1/4. 

So after some online searching, I managed to find a online shop, which sold exhaust pipes and basically everything exhaust. $50 later I had my straights and bends I needed, as well as a reducer. 

As you will see in my next post, I had to think about the way I was going to make this. I needed a tube that was going to be big and ugly, as well as just accommodate this massive space in the boot.

The first plan was too have it come out then straigh across the roof of the boot, to hide it then straight down into the tank. 

The issue with this was when I filled up, I would have an entire tube full of petrol, which I didn't like the sound of, considering this thing goes on tracks every so often. 

The next idea was do the opposite, go straight down, then across the tank to the filler port, and then in, however this meant I have a tube still full or petrol, just lower to the tank. 

The final idea, which works well, as it doesn't take too much space, or interfere with the boot, was have it come at a 45 degree angle, this meant it could vent properly when filling up, allowing the safety trigger to work, and that it would be as close to a straight tube, meaning it would drain quickly. 

With that sorted, I measured, marked, measured and cut.

I practised my welding, and then went about welding it together, finally adapting it to the original part of the filler neck, so I could bolt it to the body. 

Next part was the massive hole in the floor, I measured it up, and then sent a CAD drawing to some russian mates of mine, and had it laser cut from harden steel, as well as the hole drilled out. 

Place the plate in, mount it, and then drop the tank in, the tank needed some massaging, but using mostly the original mounting points, with some nut rivets to also take some of the strain, it was all bolted. 

Finally, I hooked up the filler neck, lay the start of my sound deadening, and BAM.

A 22 Gallon, baffled, EFI, drop fuel pump and fuel sender tank in there, its smaller and wayyy lighter than the original. 

and Of course, no leaks or possibility of leaks, the perfect solution. 

I'll post pics and the final part of the project tomorrow :P

#7 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

Okay so here are the pictures I promised. The tank installed, bolted in and it ain't moving anywhere. Also can see my beautiful home made and welded filler neck, connected, and I have started putting some sound deadening around the area. 

As you can see from the previous photos, you can see where the new muffler will go, as there is that giant space now under the plate I got made up. So I will have a nice sexy 2 1/2 stainless steel system, with the muffler there and then the resonator in the original factory location for the muffler. 

Anyway, here are the photos, will post picture so of the finished product later and how I hooked it up:

yqCGSlP.jpg

jp03Hki.jpg

zNVbY5Q.jpg

fho8kzd.jpg

11Mf4On.jpg

1WJ8FGa.jpg

TqmzUgm.jpg

11Mf4On.jpg

Taadaaaaa, Will update later on again

#8 Outback Jack

Outback Jack
  • PipPipPip
  • 1088 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:XG Outback Ute

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Looks good.
Could of got a drop tank in there.... 150-200L, but I like your solution.
Nice car.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

5f0679eb-c1e0-42e1-b938-f63b5cd59a98_zps

You Can't park that Holden in MY Driveway.......................This is Ford Country.

I had my Ute raised when everybody was lowering theirs so I could drive over shit.

A Country Ute need to actually be able to get over a speed hump... or it's no good for the farm.

#9 HarryyyyK

HarryyyyK
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Looks good.
Could of got a drop tank in there.... 150-200L, but I like your solution.
Nice car.

Jack.

Thanks, I looked at drop tanks, just couldn't find something that was too ridiculous.

And jesus, can you actually got some that are that big???

But thanks, should have photos of the final system up soon, works really bloody well, feels good to have constant fuel pressure to the system.

#10 Outback Jack

Outback Jack
  • PipPipPip
  • 1088 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:XG Outback Ute

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

Yeah mate,back in the day we made custom ali drop tanks for these and LX torries etc....
They can look a bit over the top in the boot if not made to suit the car.

5f0679eb-c1e0-42e1-b938-f63b5cd59a98_zps

You Can't park that Holden in MY Driveway.......................This is Ford Country.

I had my Ute raised when everybody was lowering theirs so I could drive over shit.

A Country Ute need to actually be able to get over a speed hump... or it's no good for the farm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users