In the above photos, you could also see the position of the original fuel neck and the new position fuel neck.
So some nice measurements and time to practice my welding.
For the fuel neck, I had to sacrifice the original fuel neck, this was because I needed the mounting point and the vent tube that came out the side.
So cutting it right up the top, I had the start to my new neck. It was a nice 2 1/2 inch in size, but the entry point in the tank was 2 1/4.
So after some online searching, I managed to find a online shop, which sold exhaust pipes and basically everything exhaust. $50 later I had my straights and bends I needed, as well as a reducer.
As you will see in my next post, I had to think about the way I was going to make this. I needed a tube that was going to be big and ugly, as well as just accommodate this massive space in the boot.
The first plan was too have it come out then straigh across the roof of the boot, to hide it then straight down into the tank.
The issue with this was when I filled up, I would have an entire tube full of petrol, which I didn't like the sound of, considering this thing goes on tracks every so often.
The next idea was do the opposite, go straight down, then across the tank to the filler port, and then in, however this meant I have a tube still full or petrol, just lower to the tank.
The final idea, which works well, as it doesn't take too much space, or interfere with the boot, was have it come at a 45 degree angle, this meant it could vent properly when filling up, allowing the safety trigger to work, and that it would be as close to a straight tube, meaning it would drain quickly.
With that sorted, I measured, marked, measured and cut.
I practised my welding, and then went about welding it together, finally adapting it to the original part of the filler neck, so I could bolt it to the body.
Next part was the massive hole in the floor, I measured it up, and then sent a CAD drawing to some russian mates of mine, and had it laser cut from harden steel, as well as the hole drilled out.
Place the plate in, mount it, and then drop the tank in, the tank needed some massaging, but using mostly the original mounting points, with some nut rivets to also take some of the strain, it was all bolted.
Finally, I hooked up the filler neck, lay the start of my sound deadening, and BAM.
A 22 Gallon, baffled, EFI, drop fuel pump and fuel sender tank in there, its smaller and wayyy lighter than the original.
and Of course, no leaks or possibility of leaks, the perfect solution.
I'll post pics and the final part of the project tomorrow