13 replies to this topic

#1 flo5

flo5
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • State:NZ
  • Car:XF

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

Hello all, been asked before I know but do we have any other options apart from RRS for aftermarket front suspension parts? Looking thru various posts other companies/products are mentioned, TCP and Global West for example but their websites don't appear to mention aussie build falcons as an model catered for. Thanks Fraser

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#2 Outback Jack

Outback Jack
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:XG Outback Ute

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

Mate been looking at this lately.
Mustang 68-72 is our x series front end.
Try streetandtrack.
Roller bearing front end set up set ya back about 3k
Landed.
Is an awesome coilover set up but its $3500 US without shipping.

I suggest a set of roller spring perches as a start and then see how far ya wanna go after that.
Tommyzees on ebay or streetandtrack site.

Oh.... both those packages are fully adjustable and completely bearing pivot points.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

5f0679eb-c1e0-42e1-b938-f63b5cd59a98_zps

You Can't park that Holden in MY Driveway.......................This is Ford Country.

I had my Ute raised when everybody was lowering theirs so I could drive over shit.

A Country Ute need to actually be able to get over a speed hump... or it's no good for the farm.

#3 crazy2287

crazy2287
  • Administrator
  • 4911 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:Ford Falcon XF

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

For about $1000 you can get both sides full coil over conversion, double adjustable shocks, Viking brand. You can email or phone McDonald bros racing, tell em what you want. there are 3 spring poundages, to choose from.

http://www.mcdonaldb....au/viking.html

"Your X has a red book value of 50 cents - but you still love her and can't bear the thought of the 1000+ hours of restoration... being taken by some thoughtless knob who carelessly shits on your world... The value is to the owner." - XFEvil

#4 Outback Jack

Outback Jack
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

Thats not a Proper coil over system.
https://www.streetor...tem-c-1549.html
Thats a proper set up.
McDonald bros racing just replaces stock shock and coil.

You Can't park that Holden in MY Driveway.......................This is Ford Country.

I had my Ute raised when everybody was lowering theirs so I could drive over shit.

A Country Ute need to actually be able to get over a speed hump... or it's no good for the farm.

#5 flo5

flo5
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Thanks Outback Jack - it's good to hear we have other options. Cheers Fraser

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#6 crazy2287

crazy2287
  • Administrator
  • 4911 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:Ford Falcon XF

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:54 PM

.... Yes, it is by definition a Coilover setup.

coilover is an automobile suspension device. "Coilover" is short for "coil spring over shock". It consists of a shock absorber with a coil spring encircling it.

There is no advantage to moving the damper/spring mounting to the lower control arm. and both setups use a rose joint lower, replacing the spring saddle. In fact, the one you linked appears to have a unsprung weight disadvantage. (More components mounted to the control arms) 

While that system you posted looks really good, and replaced upper and lower control arms, It is also 3-4 times the cost of the Viking kit and requires import. The vikings are locally available, rebuildable and have... from memory, 24 adjustment settings for both compression and rebound

"Your X has a red book value of 50 cents - but you still love her and can't bear the thought of the 1000+ hours of restoration... being taken by some thoughtless knob who carelessly shits on your world... The value is to the owner." - XFEvil

#7 Outback Jack

Outback Jack
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

Mate that viking kit is two shocks with coils over them for 1K.... can buy same coilovers in states for $500 a pair.

That set up I put up is track performance complete bolt in set up with lower arms built to support the whole weight of the car and also corrects alignment problems in the front end of the old falcons.
Fully adjustable with reinforced strut tower rings.
Doesnt get any better.
To be honest its the best set up Ive seen for the money and the adjustable kit I put together myself for around $2600 aus landed
With a full roller front and bump steer bars and some other honey stuff all fully adjustable is a bargain prepared to the crap we get expected to swallow here for 3.5K plus.

I got to put an aircon in for summer but after I'll save for it and show you why itd worth it.

Jack.

#8 ILLEST

ILLEST
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Car:84 FE LTD

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:35 PM

Seen a pick on Castlemaine rod shops Facebook page looks like they are making/developing a new ifs coil over setup for xfalcons
XD 250 single rail
XE fairmont ghia 351 top loader
84 FE LTD
87 grandpa spec FE LTD
78 TE 250 supra 5 speed

#9 FORD_MAN

FORD_MAN
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:99' AU XL ute,

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

McDonald Bros also have tubular arms kit with coil over

XM-XF TUBULAR WISHBONES with VIKING DOUBLE ADJUSTABLE COIL OVERS Around $2800

replacewish2.jpg

Before I have thought about getting tubular arms like above & modifiying to mount the coil over to lower control arm

to be able to remove the shock towers for a drag car, Like how they mount in the rod shop kit

Castlemain rod shop kit would be starting at $4500 (XA-XC shown)

& has to be fully welded in by a "coded welder" to be able to be engineered for road use

https://www.rodshop....front-ends.html

McDonald Bros also have a similar kit $3750 without brakes

http://www.mcdonaldb...rwishbones.html

xk_xl_xm_xp_ifs_small_4.jpg

sigpic1-600x100_zps59237e67.jpg

'99, AU UTE, 4.0lt, 5spd. '90 XF UTE 4.1 5spd, '83 XE S-PAK, 4.1lt.,'84 XE S-PAK 32,741kms,

'84 XE UTE, MILD 302C, C10 manualized auto, 2800rpm stall, XY 4.11:1 LSD, 240RWHP 15.0017/94.04 (w/ wheelspin)
XE DRAG UTE & XESP83 RESTO & 90 XF Restomod & GRANDPA XE S-Pak 

#10 Outback Jack

Outback Jack
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:22 PM

Lol. Those McDonald Bros set ups are globalwest upper and lower tubular arms and a set of viking coilovers.
Globalwest do them direct from the states and as a package with your choice of Koni Bilstein or Drag strip shocks..... viking is also an option.

Guarentee those arms have moog screw in ball joints....... ask me how I know...... hehehe

On an x series you need to brace the strut tower if you want to shock from lower arm straight thru.... weren't designed to take it and will flex and crack.

#11 flo5

flo5
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:37 PM

Good debate guys and looks like everyone has their ideal setup. I guess a lot of this is driven by cost; etc. but has anyone actually installed a new front &/or rear suspension into their XF and can comment to the pro's/con's of that particular installation. Cheers Fraser

#12 Blunny

Blunny
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:02 AM

Hi guys, Bit of a thread dig here. I'm looking at an XF with plans for  a track / targa car style of build with a barra or AU engine. I'm impressed with the amount of gear becoming availible for these old girls. Anyone have any experience with the catlemaine gear for a track car? 

#13 flo5

flo5
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:03 PM

Recently completed race car here running the following setup - Global west front lower and upper arms, Koni double adjustable shocks with King springs.

Streetandtrack are another ex USA.

& the aussie companies.

I'm just completing the strip down so still sitting on the fence but thinking GW or S&T ex USA.

Cheers

Fraser

#14 Blunny

Blunny
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:16 PM

Sorry its been a while....

Recently completed race car here running the following setup - Global west front lower and upper arms, Koni double adjustable shocks with King springs.

Streetandtrack are another ex USA.

& the aussie companies.

I'm just completing the strip down so still sitting on the fence but thinking GW or S&T ex USA.

Cheers

Fraser

It'd be interesting to have  alook at the TCM or Muscle Car Masters set ups. A coil over would be great for ease of spring change, height changes and corner weighting. I'm pretty sure the old DJR greens tuff beast had a Bilstein based custom coil over kit and something similar was in Jim Richards Falcon Sprint. Those viking kits might be ok if you coul get decent internals in them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users