Photo
- - - - -

XE Speedo Issue (Have gone through threads...)

XE speedo odometer gear

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BobStrop

BobStrop
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:Falcon XE Ute

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

Gday,

My XE manual ute speedo and odometer are not working...

Ive gone through this (fantastic) write up http://www.xfalcon.c...er-lotsa-pics/  and everything seems ok ie all the gears are there and move together.

Everything else on the dash is ok (except for the fuel gauge but another has been installed).

Im guessing the next thing to check is the speedo drive gear and transducer but im not sure exactly where this is. This weekend i should have access to underneath the car for a decent look but where should i look?? And apart from checking the quality of the drive gear, what should i check?

Ive opened up through the floor to the gear stick and can see two red/black wires but im not sure where they go??? They seem ok...

Could it just be the motor gear inside the speedo housing?

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

#2 VDO

VDO
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:BMW 325i M Coupe

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

Most likely it's the transducer.

The driven (transducer) gear is fairly robust and would have shown some flickering on the speedo, if it was going bad.

If you replace the transducer, you'll need one from and XD XE or ZJ ZK.  XF won't suit as the pulse rate is different.

I should point out that the speedometer runs completely independent to the odometer.  They both receive the pulse from the transducer, but they have separate drives/motors.

The motor for the odometer is located in the circuitry and has a pinion gear that meshes with the odometer drive gear.

Often the motor gets a little jammed from lack of use, or bits of material get caught in the gear meshing, so sometimes you can give the odo motor a little turn backwards and forwards using a small screwdriver, while it's in place, which often brings it back to life.

Also check that the odo drive gear is good.

Hey Boss... I've cut it three times and it's still too short..!

#3 BobStrop

BobStrop
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

Ok, thanks for your help VDO. Ill have a look for a transducer online.

Any idea what the two red/black wires at the bottom of the gear stick(under the car) are for?

#4 BobStrop

BobStrop
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

Ive just found this one but it says it can suit an XE AND an XF??...what do ya reckon?

http://www.ebay.com....kMAAOSwOgdYrYi-

..and im guessing that because both the speedo and odometer are not working it must be the transducer or the transducer driven gear. There are a few different types of gears on Rare Spares but how do i know which one is for me?

#5 VDO

VDO
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:BMW 325i M Coupe

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

Ive just found this one but it says it can suit an XE AND an XF??...what do ya reckon?

http://www.ebay.com....kMAAOSwOgdYrYi-

..and im guessing that because both the speedo and odometer are not working it must be the transducer or the transducer driven gear. There are a few different types of gears on Rare Spares but how do i know which one is for me?

You should ask for clarification from the seller, as XD/XE are different to XF.  XD/XE are 8 pulse per rotation (PPR) and XF are 10 pulse per rotation.

The gear types are normally defined by the amount of teeth.  The colour of the gear is what defines the difference.  Just match the colour.

Hey Boss... I've cut it three times and it's still too short..!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users