5 replies to this topic

#1 Sexfpano

Sexfpano
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:89 XF panelvan

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

Has anybody had trouble with their 3 speed auto holding gears for a long time when the car is cold? Oil is at the right level and the correct amount (recently topped up after removing tailshaft extension to access speedo drive gear) and have just replace kinked oil cooler lines going into and out of the box with hydraulic fittings and rubber hose of the same I.D or slightly bigger. I have a bspt fitting, female to female joiner and a right angle connection to a barb and hose on both inlet and outlet that I've recently fitted. Iim not sure if the kick down cable would have anything to do with it because it's holding gears too long rather than dropping down too early? And once it's at running temp it's fine. Any suggestions would be a great help.

#2 VDO

VDO
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:BMW 325i M Coupe

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

Have you checked that you're using the correct transmission fluid..?

Is fluid level correct when warmed up and with engine running in park..?

Hey Boss... I've cut it three times and it's still too short..!

#3 Sexfpano

Sexfpano
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:41 PM

Running Penrite dxIII, in saying that I've only topped it up with that. Just to be sure I checked the fluid level again with the engine warm on flat ground and running in park and its smack bang in the middle of the 'OK' on the dip stick.

#4 david

david
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:MK6 GTI

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

i'd be looking at the kick down cable adjustment 

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

#5 Sexfpano

Sexfpano
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:36 PM

I'll look into thanks mate, haven't had a chance to start trouble shooting it yet due to winter coming on and the hours or day light are less and less. I was talking to a fitter from work (diesel/drill fitter) and he said it might be as simple as a clogged up filter. I've only had the car 6 months so I'm not really sure of the auto service history.

#6 fixes

fixes
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:41 PM

Trans oil level is checked hot,in park after running selector through gears, switched off ,and within 30 seconds of switch-off. I have recently had this happen to my service-overdue xf ute auto box, but it went away after 3 weeks regular use. I assume it was a piece of crap in the valve-body that worked its way through and got trapped in the filter...time for that service. 🤔

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users