#1 evuchich

evuchich
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:xe 351

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:25 PM

Hi guys.
Been ripping my hair out and havnt had a straight answer.
XE had the last of the clevelands.
From reading it looks like 351s were an option til the end of 1982 so some people tell me that 83 and 84 XEs need engineers cert in NSW......
Other people say regardless of the year it's still an XE so it can have the 351 option. A member on another forum stated he had an XE with the conversion and didn't require the engineers certificate.
Im only starting to panic now as mine is 99% complete and i dont want to be stuffed around by cops. Im not 20 anymore so i drive easy. Ive only driven it 4 or 5 times in the last year. Cops pulled me over once for a "random breath test" and started sussing out the car but nothing ever came of it. Im thinking of installing a magnum 6 speed box so i can cruise at half the revs. Will i need a cert for the magnum box?
Any info to clarify would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

#2 slick230669

slick230669
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:03 BA Fairmont

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

Unaware of legislation in NSW but regardless of what year the XE was built that model was factory fitted with a V8. If it wasn't an option from factory then you would have something to worry about. The best person to ask would be the authorities themselves or a Engineer if you know one.

#3 jeffb5.8

jeffb5.8
  • PipPipPip
  • 3227 posts
  • Car:none

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:26 PM

I would look up a engineer and give them a call they don't bite.

Also if it needs engineering it will be straight forward as the parts are factory and of the shelf so it's a tick and flick exercise.

Worse case it will cost $500 and then you are RMS compliant and your insurance company will cover you.
Right now if you have an accident the insurance company could not pay out due to a non compliant engine swap.

#4 evuchich

evuchich
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

Also if it needs engineering it will be straight forward as the parts are factory and of the shelf so it's a tick and flick exercise.

Worse case it will cost $500 and then you are RMS compliant and your insurance company will cover you.
Right now if you have an accident the insurance company could not pay out due to a non compliant engine swap.

Hi Jeff.
I assumed that since these models came out factory with the 351 that it doesnt need engineer cert. Also i have the car insured already as an 8.

#5 evuchich

evuchich
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:44 PM

Hi Jeff.

I assumed that since these models came out factory with the 351 that it doesnt need engineer cert. Also i have the car insured already as an 8.

Also have 4 wheel disc brakes

#6 Wizardary

Wizardary
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Car:Ba/xb/xc

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

Something I was told by an engieer years ago was that no matter what if you change from the manufactures compliance plate and don't have a engineers certain the insurance co can legally refuse a claim.
In saying that they generally don't because by that reasoning you would have to be certified if you strayed from factory exhaust or tyres lol.
But generally I personally would spend the coin to certify it so officer plod can whistle Dixie re my road worthy besides it drives them batshite when you present them with a 20 page legal document certifying what they assumed to be a hoon car.
Its not a crime not to know but it is a crime not find out.

#7 carshi

carshi
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

Has to meet the ADR requirements for a year simple as that, I have an 84 XE and needs to be injected or straight gas to meet ADR with 351, simple as that. Like you say 82 was the last year.

#8 BGBLOK

BGBLOK
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:XY and XD ute

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

Yes, find an engineer advisor for the roadworthy, should be a shoe in but NSW is different to WA.

#9 creighto55

creighto55
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:XE ESP 351 Clevo

Posted 21 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

blokes,

I have completed this exercise had the car registered and is comprehensively insured. there is no hiding of detail and all changes were discussed and documented. I am in Qld and also car is now on club rego and therefore has been a straight forward exercise. the things I did do though are:

- change to a v8 radiator.

- change to v8 springs

- install disc brakes on rear end.

- change to v8 engine mounts.

- revise the engine bay wiring harness

- change gearbox

other mods were completed but were not essential for this task. best thing is that qld transport are saying that if the model car you are converting did have a v8 option there is no engineers cert required. you just need to apply good mechanical installation techniques and do not cut corners.

Cheers

Lindsay

#10 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4149 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF ute

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:21 PM

best thing is that qld transport are saying that if the model car you are converting did have a v8 option there is no engineers cert required. you just need to apply good mechanical installation techniques and do not cut corners.

Cheers

Lindsay

good to hear this is still the case,(was the case 20yrs ago in Victoria) 

#11 nstg8a

nstg8a
  • Administrator
  • 8554 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:au.

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

other mods were completed but were not essential for this task. best thing is that qld transport are saying that if the model car you are converting did have a v8 option there is no engineers cert required. you just need to apply good mechanical installation techniques and do not cut corners.

Cheers
Lindsay

In Queensland is an engineers cert basically a blue mod plate or are they two seperate things?
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users