How to DOHC a XF (the Snailracing way!)

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 21ash39

21ash39
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

Hi Is it possible to use a XG or XH sway bar as it goes around the back of engine.
The wolf v500 can set the cams on the dyno but this won,t be full closed loop control.?
As the Autronic or Motec will be. How far did the engine sit from firewall. Thanks Ash.[/B]

#42 ironcrosscustoms

ironcrosscustoms
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:32 AM

mate hope to see this car up and running soon.

i am thinking of building one my self but i am going to use all off the looms and computers from the BA

#43 21ash39

21ash39
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:35 PM

G/day
Hi was going to use Ba ecu & loom, but don,t want exess wiring. You need all engine loom,
All wiring from ecu to fusebox and diagnostic port. I also want to tune it myself with a laptop. Cheers Ash.

#44 target00038

target00038
  • PipPipPip
  • 2097 posts
  • Car:FD LTD, AWD Tx3

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

is the block the same as the ea-au block? i thought they were different but reading this thread has got me confused.
FD LTD: Clicky
Posted Image
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
(")_(")

#45 Snailracing

Snailracing
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • State:NZ
  • Car:HoldenColorado:(

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

is the block the same as the ea-au block? i thought they were different but reading this thread has got me confused.

lock is but isn't the same! Basiclly from #1 piston bore back it is the same, but the front is completely different. IE you won't be able to a twin cam conversion using a AU block. But things like the engine mounts a la EF/EL are still tapped and threaded in the side of the block and that is what I used!

Also not just found out the other day that Nolathane list the same sway bay for EA-ED as the XG ute, so this gives more substance that EA engine mounts will work too.
Only milk and juice should come in 2ltr's!

#46 petey

petey
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:55 AM

i like the way you think. "if it in the way cut it out"

#47 dalehotz

dalehotz
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

I'm using the factory BA T5 g/box so it bolts up as it should. My gearbox mounts will be a little different to most XF's as we had unpicked the EA-ED gearbox mounts and welded them in place to mount the EF BTR autotrans I used to run. If anyone would like pictures of this, or of the final gearbox mount install (When it gets done) I'll be happy to take pic's and show.

Hey Very Nice Guide. I have a 12/83 XE Falcon and I am debating wether I should convert it to a DOHC 4.0 or should be classic and drop a nice 351 into it. I must admit fuel economy, I would go with the DOHC but I have a question

In regards to using the Factory T5 from the BA ( I assume its a BA 5 speed, not a EF T5 5 speed, is there any computer control on the Gearbox (electric solenoid or whatever) and what tailshaft and diff modifications have you done or used?

I have a 2.9.2 Geard DB LSD. I would like to run a 3.2.3

Let me know

Thx in advance. Dale

#48 jayjaco

jayjaco
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

Hey...

Imagine pulling upto the lights with a BA powered XF! Wouldn't that take the smile of the face of some unsuspecting person!!

All you need to do now is to take a leaf out of XDerminator and fit the interior out of the BA and fit it to the XF....:hy:

#49 dane16

dane16
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

Hey mate im planing on doing the same thing, ive been lookin for a engine and box for a while now.
Got any tips?
Does the bonnet close or does the engine sit up to high?
cheers

#50 cleetus

cleetus
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

i wish i had a dohc

#51 Snailracing

Snailracing
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hey mate im planing on doing the same thing, ive been lookin for a engine and box for a while now.
Got any tips?
Does the bonnet close or does the engine sit up to high?
cheers

Yeh, By dropping the engine down a little like i've done the bonnet closes as it should.

If anyone in NZ is looking at doing this conversion you can now buy a 4.0 DOHC NA for as little as $300 from Betta Autoparts!

#52 21ash39

21ash39
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

HI What engine management did you go with
Any problems hooking it up ?

Cheers Ash.

#53 Snailracing

Snailracing
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

HI What engine management did you go with
Any problems hooking it up ?

Cheers Ash.

Still haven't got that far yet! Damn resession has put a hold on all extra spending! Should hopefully have the 4spot front brake conversion finished this month though. I'll post a full right up on that when its done.

#54 XF.693

XF.693
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Car:xf fairmont ghia

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

im loving this thread. i want to do the same thing to my xf eventually.
its going to be unreal when completed. keep the pics coming if possible
to help others considering the conversion.

#55 HOT250

HOT250
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XD Fairmont Ghia

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

Hi, does anyone know if its possible to use the 3 speed BW with this engine.

#56 KLR250

KLR250
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13934 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:Humber snipe

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:09 AM

yeah you could if you used an EA B51 bell housing, convertor and flex plate, but i think you'd kill it in a week
Xfalcon Retard hall of fame: TUCKER :hihi:
Tuckers Sump
Build Thread
Posted Image

#57 HOT250

HOT250
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XD Fairmont Ghia

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:09 AM

yeah you could if you used an EA B51 bell housing, convertor and flex plate, but i think you'd kill it in a week

Is there any way of using the original shifter on another auto gearbox? I want to keep the interior looking original so i didn't want to change the shifter. its for an XD ghia btw. thanks.

#58 BOB_DA_FITTER

BOB_DA_FITTER
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Car:1981 XD Falcon

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

i was talking to a mate the other day about this cause i have got my self one of the na engines on laybuy with the loom and stock computer. he was telling me i might have troubly with the stock computer cause it will look for the igintion barrel in order for it to start... anyway way of getting around this??.

another question is if u dont lower the engine down as u have done. does the sway bar and Altenator still fowl???

#59 Snailracing

Snailracing
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:44 PM

i was talking to a mate the other day about this cause i have got my self one of the na engines on laybuy with the loom and stock computer. he was telling me i might have troubly with the stock computer cause it will look for the igintion barrel in order for it to start... anyway way of getting around this??.

another question is if u dont lower the engine down as u have done. does the sway bar and Altenator still fowl???

Yes both fowl when you lower the engine down like I did. I have heard that Ferntree Gully Auto Wreckers have fitted a BA Dohc to a AU using the AU's wiring loom and it did run (Click Broom) Might need to do a search on some of the Ford Forums about it.

#60 BOB_DA_FITTER

BOB_DA_FITTER
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Car:1981 XD Falcon

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

Yes both fowl when you lower the engine down like I did. I have heard that Ferntree Gully Auto Wreckers have fitted a BA Dohc to a AU using the AU's wiring loom and it did run (Click Broom) Might need to do a search on some of the Ford Forums about it.

oh thats handy with the loom. i went does the sway bar fowl if u DONT lower the engine?? cause ill just put a hood scoop on the bonnet if they dont.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users