11 replies to this topic

#1 TysonE

TysonE
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:1988 Ford XF Ute

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:35 PM

Hey guys I'm in need of your expertise ! I have 2 XF Ute's, an 88 with a 3 speed column shift auto and a 91 with a 5 speed manual gearbox ... both Ute's have Cross flow engines .

Unfortunately the auto in the 88 has packed it up and I'm hoping to replace it with the manual box from the 91 ...

I have a basic grasp of mechanics but I'm not real sure on the finer details ... can anybody give me some hints/tips on what to do ??

#2 david

david
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:MK6 GTI

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:26 PM

some of there XF's have metric and some have imperial flywheel bolts, you can always drill the flywheel bigger

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

#3 crazy2287

crazy2287
  • Administrator
  • 4913 posts
  • Car:Ford Falcon XF

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

Do a search around the forum, plenty of info on this conversion.
Is the 91' busted? why not just drive it?
If you want to get rid of the column stick you'll need to swap the steering columns. None of it's particularly hard as long as you have the tools and patience, and make sure you grab yourself a workshop manual! and use it!
"Your X has a red book value of 50 cents - but you still love her and can't bear the thought of the 1000+ hours of restoration... being taken by some thoughtless knob who carelessly shits on your world... The value is to the owner." - XFEvil

#4 david

david
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

wait, why you need to swap the column? you can just take the shifter off it, the only reason you would want to replace it is if you want to get power steering, i don't think column shift ever came with power steering as the bottom shifter tab fouled the power steering box

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

#5 crazy2287

crazy2287
  • Administrator
  • 4913 posts
  • Car:Ford Falcon XF

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:24 AM

Well you don't HAVE to change the column, You can just disconnect it, but are the linkages not part of the column assy? and will the non column shift trims fit over all of it?
"Your X has a red book value of 50 cents - but you still love her and can't bear the thought of the 1000+ hours of restoration... being taken by some thoughtless knob who carelessly shits on your world... The value is to the owner." - XFEvil

#6 david

david
  • PipPipPip
  • 1943 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:19 PM

I just took the shift thing out before and din't worry bout the tab at the bottom as it was armstrong steering anyway, i'm about to get a b&m shifter and remove the tree shift on my xe soon

#7 Polson_XF

Polson_XF
  • PipPipPip
  • 2435 posts
  • Car:XF Ute, Concerto

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:53 PM

It was only column manual that never had power steer.
Column auto could, and did as standard in the later ones.

XF Falcon Ute Budget Project

Posted Image

Respray! - ✘ happening, panel by panel

Cleveland 302 V8 - ✘ being built

The old man's '68 XT Fairmont - 289 Windsor

#8 TysonE

TysonE
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:22 PM

Do a search around the forum, plenty of info on this conversion.
Is the 91' busted? why not just drive it?
If you want to get rid of the column stick you'll need to swap the steering columns. None of it's particularly hard as long as you have the tools and patience, and make sure you grab yourself a workshop manual! and use it!

The 91' isn't running and I'm not sure why. It was all good then one day it backfired (on lpg) and blew the exhaust to shreds, still ran though ... about a week later it backfired again and then it wouldn't run after that on lpg or petrol.
When I turn the key nothing happens, I can't even get it to start when I'm getting towed !! Could the issue be the distributor??

#9 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4165 posts
  • Car:XF ute sold

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:19 AM

taken the distributor cap off yet.. had mine melt the spring loaded carbon contact to the cap once, had the rotor button chew its keyway out another time..
had the dissy drive gear chew out a few times..
could crank it over with the dissy cap off. if the rotor doesnt move... drive gear stripped.

issue could be coil related also. often they will work for a while, then when hot they shut down.

#10 TysonE

TysonE
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:48 AM

I think I get what your saying about the drive gear being stripped but my mechanical knoedge is pretty poor ... does this have something to do with the crankshaft?? I also had the problem of the distributor not working when hot and I think the mechanic said it was wearing wrong or something? ?

#11 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4165 posts
  • Car:XF ute sold

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

I think I get what your saying about the drive gear being stripped but my mechanical knoedge is pretty poor ... does this have something to do with the crankshaft?? I also had the problem of the distributor not working when hot and I think the mechanic said it was wearing wrong or something? ?

if its not working when hot, but working fine when cold,
its possibly the coil needs replacing.
depending what distributor is in it, could be the module in there getting hot also(TFi module if it was EFI, not sure what the leaded XF\XE dissy equiv is called)

it wont be the gear if it does run when cold.. when the gear goes its game over, fit  a new gear and hope it doesn't keep chewing them out after

#12 joshmcmillan

joshmcmillan
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:XC & XR6T

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

I've never done this but I would imagine these are the things you would have to do (trying to put it simply).

1. Steering column. Either remove column shift stalk or exchange column.

2. Pedal box. Being 6 cylinder it will run a cable clutch. So best off swapping pedal boxes. Basically have to take steering column out to do this (so may as well swap them). I would remove dash cluster too just so you can see better, might have to remove the floor air vent to get more access. Bitch of a job but nothing technical. Might want to look into strengthening the manual pedal box (google) while you're at it. And you'll need some sort of reinforcement for the firewall where you run the cable through I would imagine.

3. Remove old gearbox and throw in the bin :P

4. Cut a hole in the floor and buy a transmission hump (assuming your column shift has a flat floor if it's like XC and earlier). Should be able to drill out spot welds/pop rivets on your other utes hump and copy the cut in the floor.

5. Swap gearboxes, shifters, flywheel (checking your bolts are the same thread as mentioned), clutch and connect clutch cable. 

6. Enjoy.

PS, I'm no expert, for some reason I've never had anything to do with XD-XF despite having owned nearly every other era of falcon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ford, Xf, Gearbox, Help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users