13 replies to this topic

#1 lilj2009

lilj2009
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

hey guys, posted a while back about a cam for my xe, well its arrived last week and ive finally been able to install it today after the heavy rain up here in qld has eased up, ive put the new cam, and lifters and cam gear and chain on, and lined everything up as close as it was when i removed it, my question is, does this look right? seems okay to me as this was the same position of the one that came out, just wanted to check with u guys first to make sure im not doing anything wrong before i start putting things back together and cross my fingers when i turn the key!! ive highlighted the notches etc on the cam and crank to make it easier for you to identify, with the white line indicating angle and direction, they are not completely straight but it came out almost identical to this and ive been told its ok. any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

Attached Files

#2 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13043 posts
  • Car:XE Ute

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Do the dots line up with a straight line between the axis of both crank and cam if you wind that crank clockwise?
Or in other words if you draw an arrow from centre of crank to dot and centre of cam to dot every second revolution both arrows should point back towards each other.

Posted Image

n00bus Ute Build: Click Here

#3 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13043 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

And id be throwing that timing chaij set over your shoulder and fitting a new rollmaster unit.

Posted Image

#4 lilj2009

lilj2009
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Do the dots line up with a straight line between the axis of both crank and cam if you wind that crank clockwise?
Or in other words if you draw an arrow from centre of crank to dot and centre of cam to dot every second revolution both arrows should point back towards each other.

thank you for the advice its too dark now as i dont have a good light downstairs but will do this first thing in the morning and make sure! :)

#5 lilj2009

lilj2009
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

And id be throwing that timing chaij set over your shoulder and fitting a new rollmaster unit.

where do i get one of these and are they hard to install?

#6 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13043 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Any parts shop will be able to get you one over the counter. And you installed the crappy old worn out one so you should be able to remove it and replace it with a new one i assume :)

Posted Image

#7 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13043 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Where abouts in qld are you mate?

Posted Image

#8 lilj2009

lilj2009
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

Where abouts in qld are you mate?

i am in rockhampton :)

#9 lilj2009

lilj2009
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

ive been told i will need to prime the oil pump also? is this true?

#10 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13043 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

Good tip yes, but many dont bother with it. providing you coated everything liberally with oil as you assembled it you should be good if you start it and get good oil pressure instantly. If you didnt then yes prime the system first. Did you fit new lifters and use the cam run in lube on the new lobes?

Posted Image

#11 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4012 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF ute

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

that chain is knackered.. surprised its not rubbing on the timing cover

my last one i changed..
Posted Image

the new standard chain i fitted.. dot to dot can be seen here
Posted Image

#12 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4012 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF ute

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

also due to the cam gear being twice the size of the crank gear you may need to do another crank rotation to line them up.. (not sure if it was mentioned.. havent read the other posts)

#13 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13043 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Dont do that rotation without the timing gears on but or you will just mash pistons and bend valves. I think by looking at it that if he wound the crank clockwise 10 degrees ish the marks would line up again.
But yes get a new timing set. Get one of These and your set.

Posted Image

#14 crazy2287

crazy2287
  • Administrator
  • 4718 posts
  • Car:Ford Falcon XF

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

if you look around you might be able to get a timing chain set for about $120
Look for either rollmaster or crow cams brand. You can buy direct from crow cams too the should only be about $160

You need to install dot to dot. But if you fitting a new cam i strongly suggest you pull the rocker cover off, Back your rocker gear up and unload the valve train.
Then find top dead center on number one and dial your cam in with a dial gauge from there.

Dial gauge and magnetic base should be available for under $100 and its a precision tool you can use again and again.

then you can make sure your dial is set properly. It's not unheard of for cams to be ground with a bit of offset on the keyway and you can fix that up by setting the cam in properly.

As for priming the pump, go to the wreckers and rip the dizzy out of an old engine, then use a mag pickup tool to pull the oil pump drive out from where the dizzy was. Take it home and weld a piece of 6-10 mm bar on it so it fits in your drill. Boom, you have an oil pump primer.

What cam are you fitting bud?
"Your X has a red book value of 50 cents - but you still love her and can't bear the thought of the 1000+ hours of restoration... being taken by some thoughtless knob who carelessly shits on your world... The value is to the owner." - XFEvil

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: timing, cam, camshaft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users