• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 Cal_91

Cal_91
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Car:NL, mini, XD

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Brilliant write up! But there's one thing you've missed... (If you hadnt fixed it sinse) The lower tailgate on a van actually has another lip on the top of it to seal with the top gate. Its a small 90° angle spot welded from the underside of the top edge, and doesn't stick up further than 5-10mm....

Without it you will be forever sucking in fumes when they're not desired (the exception to this being when the top gate is open and both front windows wind all the way down =D )

I'll try and find/take a pic if you hadn't already seen them before =)

Is the van painted now?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#22 CAGS

CAGS
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XG Panelvan

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Awesome write up and great work.

I have sourced the upper and lower gates with all hinge and brackets, but it didn't come with the roof brace.

Anyone know where I could get a roof brace?

#23 JG47XB

JG47XB
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:XC & XD

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Nice work can't wait for more

#24 Steve Mcqueen

Steve Mcqueen
  • xFalcon Event Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 12027 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:XF Falcon sedan

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

Yeah awesome stuff, you went to some bother for that conversion but the tail gate has that 70's/80's touch and feel to it eh.

What else is on the cards, an old Rank Arena perhaps?

Edited by Steve Mcqueen, 02 February 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#25 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • State:NT
  • Car:xf van xd ute

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:41 PM

Capturebhmj

I used panel bond adhesive & screwed the fiberglass bulge down with self tappers onto a bare metal surface sanded back on the bonnet after i marked out where it was going to sit. Let the panel bond do its job for a couple of days,(this is the glue they use at the factory to make most cars) Once the glue's gone off you can take all the screws out & fill them up as well as around the edge of the hump with a skim of fiberglass filler (bog) to smooth it all out. Make sure you drill a small hole under the middle of the under side of the bonnet to allow for expansion of the air inside the hump when it gets hot. Without the hole the fiberglass edge being the weakest point can pop a crack through your new paint.

#26 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:43 PM

Capturebbg

Capturepv44
Capturepv43
Capturepv45

#27 Outback Jack

Outback Jack
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:XG Outback Ute

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

Coming along nice man.... Go PV!

Jack.

5f0679eb-c1e0-42e1-b938-f63b5cd59a98_zps

You Can't park that Holden in MY Driveway.......................This is Ford Country.

I had my Ute raised when everybody was lowering theirs so I could drive over shit.

A Country Ute need to actually be able to get over a speed hump... or it's no good for the farm.

#28 john

john
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Car:XF Van

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:43 AM

That welding rod in the panel cavity is an old favourite of bored assembly line workers. I read years ago something similar.. a guy was doing up his old falcon, GT I think from memory and he was determined to find an annoying rattle/vibration.

Eventually after much effort he discovered a metal washer welded to a length of mig wire and positioned just so that it touched on the inside of the panel as the car drove on the road. Not a nice thing to do.....

#29 AshXFute

AshXFute
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:XF ute, XR8 ute

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:53 AM

^^ HAHAHA what a bastard trick.
Did he leave it so it was factory original?

#30 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

Hey peeps, been awhile since I put something up here & thanks for the comments.
  So here's a couple of shots of the bobtail when I was doing that.. So basically I just screwed it down to bare metal on the roof with Panelbond glue , left it for a week to harden the adhesive & pull the fibreglass down then pulled out all the screws & smoothed it all out with fibreglass filler. I also filled & filed the rest of the roof as well as there were a few ripples here & there I didn't like.   
Its wet season here atm so things haven't been moving along as quick as I'd prefer but still filling the time with some fidly thing like restoring headlights an stuff ,  The van is basically ready for paint after a quick blockback but waiting for the dry season here first.

#31 john

john
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:03 PM

Hmmmm... liftgate/ tailgate instead of barn doors.... hmmm.. I like. You've definitely got talent there... and determination. I think your right though, not a job for a beginner...

#32 john

john
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:10 PM

Hmmmm... liftgate/ tailgate instead of barn doors... hmmm I like. You've got talent and determination. Thanks for going to the effort of doing the tutorial. I think your right though, not a project for a beginner.

#33 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

thanks John , stay tuned here for some updates to come shortly 

#34 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

IMG_08121.jpg

Hey guys been a while since i've updated here so here's a few pics of the progress. I've been putting some colour down & have decided that i'm going to invent my own colour. So i've started with Australian standard Off White as a base colour. I'm then going to lay a ghost gold pearl over that followed by the clear finally. Earlier in the thread i mentioned that i liked the Subaru Satin Pearl White that has a gold colour to it in certain lighting so i'm kind of aiming for something like that 

#35 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:29 PM

IMG_08111.jpg

i've gone to a fair bit of trouble to ensure the panels will be rust free for many more years to come by coating the bottoms & backs with stone guard to completely seal each panel.

#36 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:30 PM

IMG_08101.jpg

#37 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

IMG_08791.jpg

under bonnet transforming !

#38 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:42 PM

IMG_08691.jpg

front bar was pretty bad with stone chips & warped out of shape. Straightened out the plastic using a heat gun. Smoothed out all the chips using blade putty & a but load of sanding followed by some plastic primer & a couple of coats of spray putty/surfacer & then the white. She's like a brand new one now. Also did the lower half with stone guard before the off white went on.

#39 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

IMG_08681.jpg

#40 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

[url=http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/iansbucket1/media/IMG_08701.jpg.html]IMG_08701.jpg[/UR

L] I'm not too fussed about that split in the plastic at the bottom because i've got a 1/4 bar thats going over the lower half so it wont be seen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: barn doors, lift gate, lift gate conversion, panel van, panel van lift gate, panel van tail gate, tail gate, xf panel van, lift up tail gate, van tailgate conversion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users