Photo
- - - - -

How to fit XD XE white dials and fix the odo/trip meter (lotsa pics)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

Hello,

I've lumped these 2 "how to"s together since taking the cluster is out time consuming and theres a fair bit of overlap. Lets start with taking apart the cluster, remove cluster from dashboard and place it on a clean and tidy work area.

Posted Image

Flip it over and take out 6 screws on the edges holding the back panel in the black plastic cluster housing.

Posted Image

Carefully lift out the panel, all the gauges are mounted on it:

Posted Image

Next you will need to remove the needle pointers (remove only the speedo needle if you are fixing the odo/trip meter). The XD/XEs are surprisingly technologically advanced in some areas, one of these is Ford's use of quality electronic needle movements, which makes removing the needles easy and doesn't need recalibration when put back on (unlike most other cars up until the mid 90's which is how long it took most other manufacturers to adopt electronic needle movements over mechanical cable driven). To remove the needles there are two methods:

1. For speedo and tacho, hold the black base part with your fingers and twist anti-clockwise (moving the needle point below zero) while pulling on it.

Posted Image

You can do the same for the small gauges, holding the needle with your finger nails, the small needles come off easily.

OR
2. You can use two flat screw drives at the base of the needle, twisting them to apply even force to both sides and lever the needle off.

Posted Image

Remove the original dial faces by unscrewing the tiny screws. Use a small flat screwdriver that is in good condition as the screws can be tight and the slot is fairly shallow and its easy to damage the screw if the screwdriver tip isn't fully engaged in the slot.

Posted Image

Your cluster should now look like this, note that the tacho screws have a fine thread, the speedo screw have a course thread, and the small gauages have shorter screws. This will be important when you assemble the cluster.

Posted Image

Remember to put all your bits in a small tray or peanut butter jar lid, so they dont get lost.

Posted Image

At this point if you are not fixing the odo and trip meter scroll down till you see a picture of the cluster with the white dials installed.

To fix the odo trip meter we need access to a little cog which deteriorates over time and breaks. Start by unscrew the speedo unit from the main circuit board. There are 3 brass pegs for the electrical connection which now hold the speedo to the main circuit board, carefully slide the pegs and speedo housing out of the main board. Next undo the 4 small hex bolts on the back of the speedo housing (I think these are 6mm)

Posted Image

We can now see the cog which is responsible for so many XD XE odo and trip meters not working. Its is made of a rubbery plastic which becomes brittle over time and typically, the grease dries and becomes like glue, stopping the cog from rotating. The motor tries to turn it and snaps off 1 or more of the large teeth and no longer runs the odo or tripmeter. In this case someone tried to adjust the odomoter reading by tryng to turn the black barels with the numbers by hand which stripped the small teeth on this cog.

Posted Image

To gain access to it, remove the 4 screws holding the speedo assembly together. Take care not to pull on or damage the small wires indicated by the green arrow.

Posted Image

The cog in question is obstructed by the other cogs which need to be removed first. Start with the tiny C-clips holding the cogs onto the axle. Carefully remove the C-clips. These have a tendency to fling across the room, never to be found again. Cup your hand over speedo assembly as you remove the c-clip to reduce the chance of this happening

Posted Image

Remove the axle holding in the cog shown and slide it out. Take care and patience, the plastic is old and brittle:

Posted Image

Remove cog "1" and finally you can remove the troublesome cog "2".

Posted Image

Clean the gunk off the axle and fit the new cog, check that it rotates freely. Fit the cogs 1, 2, 3.

Posted Image

Fit the c-clips and axle and check the whole gear train rotates with relative ease.

Posted Image

Assemble the speedo mechanisms, make sure the new cog meshes with the worm gear on the motor.

Posted Image

Place the speedo mechanisums in the black housing, taking care with the wires and put the 4 hex screw back in the back. Next fit the assembly into the main cluster board, lining up the brass pegs with their sockets on the board. Once in place, screw the speedo housing into the main board. It should now look like this again:

Posted Image

Place the white dials on the mechaniusm and screw them in. White dials will give the cluster a sportier look and improove night time visibility.

Posted Image

#2 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

To fit the speedo needle, push it on pointing to about 40km/h, then while gently pushing, twist so that it points to -2km/h. When you let go the needle will spring back slightly and point exactly to 0km/h. Do the same for the other gauges.

Posted Image

Place the board on the cluster housing, taking care to feed the tripmeter reset button through the hole in the clear plastic on the front of the cluster. Put the 6 screws back in. Do not over tighten, the plastic is old and brittle.

Posted Image

Now fit the cluster to your dash and liven up your interior.

Posted Image

The dials are available in a range of different colours and designs if you dont like white, such as carbon fiber, flames and lightning, check it out here, Cruizin Central on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.c...d=p4634.c0.m322

We also offer recalibration serivce, eg 240km/hr speedo as per the last photo, 8000rpm tacho, 6cyl to 8 cyl tacho conversion and needle re-colouring. E-mail me for a quote: CruizinCentral@ymail.com

Ren.
Cruizin Central.

#3 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4165 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF ute sold

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

the EB cluster i just swapped the odo gear on the needle was stuck on so good i used a kitchen dinner fork behind it to pull upwards on.
are you sure twisting is safe when they are stuck on so well?

#4 ILIED

ILIED
  • PipPipPip
  • 6617 posts
  • Car:BL0.302

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Very well detailed
I really dont know what to do with my hands right now

#5 220xd

220xd
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:81 XD S-Pack

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Nice and simple. Quick question though, where can you get the new drive gear from??

#6 gergatronic

gergatronic
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:XB Coupe

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

Great write up. There's a site i'll be using for mine that sells them:

http://www.partsluna...n-Gear-Cog.html
- Gerg

#7 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

I found the twisting helps the needle come free from the pin. I've tried the fork method but its risky as the fork contacts the bottom of the needle on an angle so puts more pressure on one side. This can bend or break the pin the needle is pressed onto. Falcon clusters are quite tough, but do that with an asian made cluster the pin snaps so easily. If the needle is on super tight and you can't move it with your fingers, use 2 flat screw drivers either side as outlined above, this way you apply even force on both sides and dont put and bending forces on the pin.

#8 81XD

81XD
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

Awesome write up, cheers!!!!!!! 

Pauly

#9 breno

breno
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Car:1984 fd ltd

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

would fixing odo/trip meter be same for xf?

#10 nickd

nickd
  • Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1947 posts
  • Car:XD XE BF

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Nice write up Cruisin Central, I have a couple questions.

It looks easy taking the dials off but how hard is it to out them back on?

How did you get the dials back to the original orange colour?

Do you reco these clusters?

#11 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

@Breno, If i rememeber correctly, the XF motor and gear assembly is held on with 2 screws, undo those and you can swap the cog out. Check on eBay for a new cog.

@Nickd, its easy to put the dial faces back on, hold them against the mechanisum so that the screw holes line up and then just put the screws in and do them up. I got the needles back to orange by painting them. Give them a good clean with paint thinners, mask off the center black part then air brush the needles to what ever colour you need. (use good quality paints, else it will peal, run, fade or just look crap after a while) The customer i was moding this cluster for requested original flouro orange. Sorry, I don't reco or repair clusters, the main focus of my business is making custom speedo faces, however I offer 240km/hr speedo conversions, 8000rpm tacho, 6cyl to 8 cyl tacho conversion and needle re-colouring, on the XD XE cluster to the people on this forum because its a great buch of guys and gals here.

Ren

from Cruizin Central

#12 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

Hello,

Just letting you know we have these in a range of colours and designs like carbon fiber, flames and lightning. link below:

http://www.ebaystore...d=p4634.c0.m322

Regards

Ren

Cruizin Central

#13 VDO

VDO
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:BMW 325i M Coupe

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

I don't recommend using any impliment like screwdrivers etc to remove the pointers as they will leave marks the dial.

Twist and pull is the best method... it won't harm the gauges at all.

Also, there's no need to remove the entire speedo head to change the odometer gear.

Just remove the pointer and dial, the the 4 screws under the dial that hold the gear/odometer drum assembly and you can access everything you need.

When refitting the small gauge pointers, unless you have calibration equipment, make careful note of the exact rest position the pointer was at prior to removal (they can vary), or the readings could be incorrect.

Hey Boss... I've cut it three times and it's still too short..!

#14 BobStrop

BobStrop
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:Falcon XE Ute

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

Great help, thanks!

#15 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:48 PM

We've added a few new items to the Ford section, including 240km/h speedo and 8000rpm tacho dial set for the XD XE. Here is a link:

http://www.ebaystore...d=p4634.c0.m322

Please note the 240km/h and 8000rpm tacho will need re calibration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users