14 replies to this topic

#1 AaronStorer

AaronStorer
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF Ute

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Dose anyone know why my Ute fuel tank would over flow every time I fill it up? I have checked for blockages in the hose that runs from the tank to the top of the filler. I have also replaced the fuel cap. There are about four 6mm plastic hoses running into the top of the tank not to sure what they do but I will be checking them next?

Any ideas (other than "don't fill the tank all the way up")?

#2 AaronStorer

AaronStorer
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

So I just checked the 4 plastic hoses out and they run to a manifold up inside the side of the use tub. From there another plastic hose runs back to the carbon canister. none of these hoses are blocked but when the ignition is off the carbon canister is closed and the hole system is pressurised by the expanding fuel vapours.

#3 BigCam

BigCam
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:94 XG Ute

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

My ute does the same thing, I think its quite common. And does yours leak out of the cap if you leave the car parked on an angle when its full? I fill mine in bursts to let it settle down the filler tube. Seems to help a fair bit with the filling side of it. Not sure if thats good advice, just how I do it

#4 Braddyxe51

Braddyxe51
  • PipPipPip
  • 5063 posts
  • Car:xe, zk, 2x te, tc

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

both my xe ute and xf wagon spit fuel out when trying to fill it up. Im not sure why either. Just fill it slow but its anoying taking 3 times longer to fill than it should.
http://au.youtube.com/user/braddyxe51
http://s305.photobuc...238/Braddyxe51/

I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning

#5 wookie836

wookie836
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:XC, AU2 XR8, RTV

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

would it be from the pumps changing over the years and the fuel filler necks in the vehicles? my NL and RTV never spill out but my XC will every time. with my XC i just put the hose on a angle and back off when i hear the fuel rising.

#6 Polson_XF

Polson_XF
  • PipPipPip
  • 2435 posts
  • Car:XF Ute, Concerto

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Do you mean when it gets full, a bit of extra fuel surges up and splashes out, as the pump does the auto stop thing?
Mine does it, you can just go slower with the fuel, or estimate how much it'll take and slow down just before you think its full.

Or, you could mean once you fill it you start seeing fuel stains down the side, after driving or whatever? If thats the case, the seal on the fuel cap is most likely buggered, check it for cracks. They're only $20-30 at SuperCheap.

XF Falcon Ute Budget Project

Posted Image

Respray! - ✘ happening, panel by panel

Cleveland 302 V8 - ✘ being built

The old man's '68 XT Fairmont - 289 Windsor

#7 Braddyxe51

Braddyxe51
  • PipPipPip
  • 5063 posts
  • Car:xe, zk, 2x te, tc

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

mine no leaks when driving, just spits out when filling even when tank is below half level.
http://au.youtube.com/user/braddyxe51
http://s305.photobuc...238/Braddyxe51/

I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning

#8 SLO247

SLO247
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • State:SA
  • Car:XD S Pack

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Mine did it to me today. Could hear it coming though.

Must be why they all have stains from the filler down.

#9 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts
  • Car:XE Ute

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Im going to have a guess at why they do this. From my fuel tank adventures of late i noticed something odd, the filler neck tube on xfs have a spigot on one side and this connects a 3/4" hose to the tank to act as a pressure relief so when u pour fuel down the filler neck the vapours under pressure in the tank run back up that extra hose and vent out the filler neck. But on the xhs they relocated that spigot to the opposite side and higher up the pipe so im guessing its to get around this issue. Im guessing that the pressure coming out that pipe gets in behind the incoming fuel and blocks the entry forcing the fuel back out the neck. Most pumps will shut off from this but some arent as sensitive and will just spurt out. Does anyone own an xh and have this issue?

Sig01.jpg

n00bus Ute Build: Click Here

#10 AaronStorer

AaronStorer
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Im going to have a guess at why they do this. From my fuel tank adventures of late i noticed something odd, the filler neck tube on xfs have a spigot on one side and this connects a 3/4" hose to the tank to act as a pressure relief so when u pour fuel down the filler neck the vapours under pressure in the tank run back up that extra hose and vent out the filler neck. But on the xhs they relocated that spigot to the opposite side and higher up the pipe so im guessing its to get around this issue. Im guessing that the pressure coming out that pipe gets in behind the incoming fuel and blocks the entry forcing the fuel back out the neck. Most pumps will shut off from this but some arent as sensitive and will just spurt out. Does anyone own an xh and have this issue?

I found that the 3/4 vent hose was kinked near the top so I put a spring inside it to force it to hold a tight radius without kinking. That fixed the fuel surging back and shutting off the flow from the bowser when filling the tank fast.

#11 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts
  • Car:XE Ute

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

Good work mate

Sig01.jpg

n00bus Ute Build: Click Here

#12 female xh driver

female xh driver
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Car:xh xr6 ute

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

Hey guys I'm a female who drives a xh xr6 ford falcon Longreach ute and I got this problem but not when filling up only when I drive my car it over flows out and I changed the fuel cap and it still does it any help I don't know what it could be trying to fix it myself please help me

#13 Outback Jack

Outback Jack
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:XG Outback Ute

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

Check all the filler hoses and the clamps on them, make sure they are all nice and tight and there are no holes, with a new cap nothing should be coming out.

First, maybe check it's the right cap, I know XG's have a vent system in the cap and if you use the wrong one, like XF they leak.

If you need to get to the fuel filler area, it's on the passenger side, side panel that screws off , near the front.

The only other place you can check is under the main panel in the ute bed.

Jack.

p.s. Show us ya Ute..... hehe.

5f0679eb-c1e0-42e1-b938-f63b5cd59a98_zps

You Can't park that Holden in MY Driveway.......................This is Ford Country.

I had my Ute raised when everybody was lowering theirs so I could drive over shit.

A Country Ute need to actually be able to get over a speed hump... or it's no good for the farm.

#14 xg mate

xg mate
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Car:xg

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

yep , have had the problem, have owned 5 xh's over the last 15 years, and now have an xg, all have leaked from the fuel cap. have bought new caps from various sources and brands ebay, auto stores, spare parts. Never fixes the leaks. So I just stopped filling them right to the top, standing beside it when filling as soon as i hear the fluid starting to bubble as it reaches the bottom of the neck, i stop pumping. That solves the problem most of the year. But not in temps above 30 degs.

Speaking to my mechanic we worked out the plastic part attached to the inside centre of the caps has a hole in it for pressure relief if the fuel expands on hot days, it allows fumes and vapor to pass in small amounts out through the key hole and edges of the cap. Unfortunately the rubber seal around this also perishes over time and doesn't seal well around the very narrow top edge of the filler neck that the cap seals against when shut. Combine the above two issues and you have a fuel cap design that doesn't deserve its name ha ha. ("cap".)(or maybe thats accurate its just like a cap as in a hat) :)

I also suspect that the rubber seals that come on replacement caps aftermarket have changed their compounds over the years, and probably their dimensions also. Compromising seal qualities in order to make them cheaper to us.

My theory - these are "Designed Obsolescence" - ie; make a product cheaper that will last the warranty period, then wear out. So you sell more because they are cheaper than the originals, but then when the market is full of them, you can keep selling them because you know they all wear out pretty soon. "from business models with no moral conscience lesson No. 1".

I am just gonna see if i can find some large o-rings that match perfectly with the filler neck rim to create the best seal possible, just by siliconing it to the existing face of the rubber grommet on the cap. and see if that works.

Check your filler neck rim for any bends or damage also. goodluck.

#15 xg mate

xg mate
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Car:xg

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

Or

- straight out of XH ute workshop maintenance manual section 10-3-2

"The filler cap incorporates a 2 way pressure/vaccuum relief valve.

The cap functions as a check valve under normal operating conditions.

It allows air to enter the tank as fuel is used while preventing vapours to escape to the atmosphere.

The pressure relief valve will only function if blockage of the vapour line prevents the vapour from reaching the carbon canister.

Inspect the filler cap gasket for contamination, damage or deterioration.

The gasket is not serviceable and if found to be defective the cap assembly must be replaced.

Check the operation of the two way valve, if defective replace the cap."

So in summary fuel leaking from filler neck could be

cap rubber gasket worn - not sealing against filler neck rim

relief valve not functioning

vapour line blockage causing relief valve to let fuel flow out

solutions

fix blockage in vapour relief line, if still leaking replace cap with new one.

if vapour relief line not blocked replace cap with new one.

(yes i know this topic is 6 years old, but i still look here for answers myself, so why not others)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users