Photo
- - - - -

How to sit BA/BF XR Seats into X-Series, the easy way!

ba seat xr6 xr8 seat rail xr into xd xr into xf xr into xe fit xr seats fit xr6 seats easy way

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mcfly94

mcfly94
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts
  • Car:85 XF GL Falcon

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Well after using Wes's method to fit my XR seats, i decided i was unhappy, and searched for a different way. Found a photo which shows the seats sitting more parallel to the floor pan like the original seats, a must i rekcon.
This is how they sit using Wes's method (great quick easy method looks awesome in your old xf sleeper :hy:) just dont sit how i like it.
Posted Image
Now the new method, i recommend sitting the seats in the car with the rails unmodified and marking in the front holes on the rails onto the x-series ridge on the floor pan, where you want the seat to sit according how far away from the door trim and console, yadda yadda, very easy.

Once youve marked them, take the BA/BF rails of the seats, remove the white plug of its clip and cable tie it to the seat spring, allow clearance for the floor pan (or just cut it all straight of, if not intending to use it again), to remove the rails remove the 4 brass coloured nuts using a 13mm spanner and they will slide straight of.
Cut the cables for the seat belt buckle straight of and tuck up the cables using a cable tie
This is what it looks like underneath my seat:
Posted Image
Place the removed rail in the vice, as you now want to remove the outer bracket of the rail using a hacksaw, didnt want to get out the grinder and send sparks flying through the garage where dads beast lays. The outer bracket is the opposite to the seat belt buckle if you get lost
Posted Image
Cut one side of the rail until you cut through the first section (3 sections, left right and the centre piece which is welded into the centre of the rail, look and you will see)
Posted Image
Once you have cut through that reposition the rail in the vice to cut the other side
Posted Image
Now cut the centre piece of and remove the bracket from the rail :)
Cut as much excess of as possbile with the hacksaw and file down neat, like so
Posted Image
To remove the centre piece that is welded in two places grab a relatively small drill bit and drill through the centres, once through step up to a 16/64" drill bit (almost as big as the weld), drill straight through, you will only be able to half way and then the weld will spin with the drill. Take out the drill and get an old flat head, stick inside and pry out the weld, and then the other side will give aswell, do this for both of the welds and the bracket will come straight off. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 mcfly94

mcfly94
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Pilot hole a bit into the rail inline with the centre of rail, (this is for bolting the rail to the floor) mines 10mm from the centre of the outer most weld.
Posted Image
Then increase the hole to the size of the bolt your using i used high tensile 5/16" bolts that are 2" long, the hex head will clear sliding of the rails :) (If you think it wont, use an allan head :) )
Posted Image
Now for the around 25/25mm spacer for the rear outer part of the rail.
Remember the spacers you got of your old x-series seats, the black plastics? yeah those are good for this! :) you need two for each rail (2 in original condition and 2 modified)
Posted Image
You will need to cut 5mm of the BOTTOM of one, to get the desired height, clean it up with some sand paper and a file and they sit like this
Posted Image
How the rear outer part of the rail looks
Posted Image
How it sits in relation to the floor pan
Posted Image
Took me about 45 mins an hour for one rail, easy job too!
Once you hve modified the rails sit in the car and mark the holes on the floor pan drill to suit your bolts
Mount back onto the seats
And bolt into the car using high tensile bolts of around 2" all the way around with a diameter of around 5/16"
Use loctite and washers underneath the car to secure
Im yet to make up plates for underneath the car which i will drill a whole in the centre and weld the nut to, and then weld to the underneath of the floor pan, so its just like installing the seat belt bolts, which means you dont need to worry about stuff underneath the car :hy:

#3 mcfly94

mcfly94
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

To remove the BA/BF belt buckle youll need a star nut type tool, which im yet to acquire.
If anyones interested in the plates im making up for underneath the floor pan, i will upload them :)

#4 XTREME KARTS XF

XTREME KARTS XF
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:92 XF ute w/T5

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

im keen to those plates
NO SHED MONKEYS!!!
italian 100cc kart engine + 20,000 RPM + 1" off the ground + 140 km/h = nuff said

where the hell can you buy continental sausages at 10pm on a saturday night ?

Is your new business a mobile sexshop?

#5 dropped_xe

dropped_xe
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Car:83 xe xr6

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

Beauty of a walkthrough mate, shall add it to my to do list.

#6 jeffb5.8

jeffb5.8
  • PipPipPip
  • 3227 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:none

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

So do you use any of the original holes

#7 mcfly94

mcfly94
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

So do you use any of the original holes

not a single hole, plug them off incase, you ever want the original seats in, i have another set holes from old bucket seats which im going to mig and grind down smooth :)

#8 mcfly94

mcfly94
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Modified the drivers just before and found 4 wires which control the drivers electrics, would be awesome if i can wire then in.
Theres:
Red - Guessing this is switched 12v+
Black - Guessing its an earth
Pink w/t Orange stripe - No idea
Green w/t White stripe - No idea
Anyone know what the cables are, want to give the electrics ago while im at it.

#9 mcfly94

mcfly94
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Alright ive figured out how to work the electric motors as ive tested with the car battery out of the car, work a treat :hy:
Just extend the red and black cables and connect the the red to a switch 12v+ and black to an earth and your all set!
Im running a 15amp fuse on the switch 12V+ line! just incase, dosent hurt protecting it :)

#10 lushbodyworks

lushbodyworks
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:TURBO XE

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

how much would you charge to make the rails up ??

#11 mcfly94

mcfly94
  • PipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

i suggest you having a go yourself, as postage prices will be fairly high the rails weigh a fair bit, and youll save yourself $$$, as you can see you only need a vice, hacksaw, screw drivers, and drill and possbily a grinder with a flapper disc to smoothen the cuts a bit more.

also its abit more than just making rails, 4 new holes have to be welded, and there are reinforcement plates on the front ridge. and also welding the 8 original holes up.

#12 HI PSI

HI PSI
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Nice work and thank you for the guide. :-)

#13 bros.R

bros.R
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:fords

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

i agree this is an excellent walk through bro.
project XD fairmont - blow through turbo xflow
project datsun 1200 ute

#14 TUFGQ

TUFGQ
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • State:NZ
  • Car:Two

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:22 PM

I'm just working through this guide now with BA XR seats.

With using the round 25mm packers under the rear outer rail - i assume the height of the packers is 45mm once 5mm is trimmed off?.

#15 TUFGQ

TUFGQ
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • State:NZ
  • Car:Two

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:36 AM

I realise it's an old thread but I just followed it precisely and now I have brilliant BA seats in my XF.

the bonus is that they allow MUCH MORE rear travel for taller people than the factory seats.

Also got the power adjustment working for the drivers seat. very cool mod.

I ended up using a 30mm packer for the drivers seat and a 40mm packer for the passenger.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ba seat, xr6, xr8, seat rail, xr into xd, xr into xf, xr into xe, fit xr seats, fit xr6 seats, easy way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users