im pickin up what your putting down.

but i still like the way mine works, as it hasnt let me down yet

#42 THE D

THE D
  • PipPipPip
  • 2047 posts
  • Car:XD Ute, XD Sedan, Hilux

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:32 AM

Well i have decided to got with a 77 degree thermostat and use the 82-87 degree fan switch

cheers Guys

#43 THE D

THE D
  • PipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

I got an email today from Tridon....They were very helpful.. here it is.

Thanks for your email.
The thermostat temperature is actually its opening point; the thermostat isn’t fully open until approximately 12 degrees Celsius above the opening temperature.
I would recommend that the fan switch you choose be above the fully open temperature so that you give your cooling system the chance to open up and operate as it should.

If I was to be setting up your vehicle, I would run the vehicle and use an infra red thermometer to check the exact temperature at the location of the fan switch in comparison to the thermostat operation. You will be able to tell exactly what the thermostat is doing with the thermometer. In most cases there is a temperature differentiation and you will need to compensate using a different switch.
Let me know the temperatures you come up with and then I can try to identify a switch to do the job.

Is the engine you are building going to be stock or high performance? If it is going to be a high performance engine perhaps you may want to consider a cooler thermostat.

I hope this helps.

#44 THE D

THE D
  • PipPipPip
  • 2047 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

Now is it better to switch the earth or the power with the relay? so do you use the relay to turn "ON" power or earth?

#45 KLR250

KLR250
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13934 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:Humber snipe

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

always better to ground the relay to switch on
Xfalcon Retard hall of fame: TUCKER :hihi:
Tuckers Sump
Build Thread
Posted Image

#46 drew442

drew442
  • PipPipPip
  • 9964 posts
  • Car:XE Fairmont

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

I just got linked here from another thread so I read through it again. It seems you guys have been confusing the engine coolant temp with the radiator coolant temp. The thermostats job is to maintain the engine coolant temp at a certain temperature regardless of the radiator temp.

If the radiators temperature is too much lower than the engine temp then it makes the thermostats job difficult.

Your running temperature should be above the thermostat opening temp. You shouldn't be cooling the car down back below the thermostat opening temperature whilst running and you should be running the engine temp in the 90's or where ever it makes the most power. Coolant temp affects horsepower a fair bit, don't get a dyno tune with an 87 thermostat and then put a 77 in it. You will most definitely lose power.
Posted Image
12 months off the forum. Average posts is still 5 per day.

#47 XE_Spack

XE_Spack
  • PipPipPip
  • 1450 posts
  • Car:XE Spack 302

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

so basically how mine is setup

temp sensor in the engine and the fan operation range is 95 on and 90 off with an 87 degree thermostat

#48 ZEDJAY

ZEDJAY
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:1980 zj fairlane

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

hey, just reading the thread, just a quiry when you have the thermo on the engine side you obviously reverse the polarity to run it backwards so it sucks rather than blows but do you also flip the fan blades as well.

CRUIZE IN STYLE FAIRLANE.....

#49 FREE.51

FREE.51
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:ZL, FD LTD

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

Yes, when u buy the fan it's blade is fitted as if u were gonna mount it to the front of the radiator. I have twin thermos mounted behind the rad so when I took em out of the packet I undid the clips & turned the blades over & yeah reversed the polarity so the fans spin anti clockwise

#50 ZEDJAY

ZEDJAY
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:1980 zj fairlane

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Yes, when u buy the fan it's blade is fitted as if u were gonna mount it to the front of the radiator. I have twin thermos mounted behind the rad so when I took em out of the packet I undid the clips & turned the blades over & yeah reversed the polarity so the fans spin anti clockwise

Thanks mate will try it out . :toocool:

CRUIZE IN STYLE FAIRLANE.....

#51 f6737

f6737
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:fgf6/xf

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

So can I ask how the fans start at 6 volts and dose anyone have a diagram to use a el ecu to contol the fans no override and no aircon thanks

#52 Nigel

Nigel
  • PipPipPip
  • 1268 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

Fans start at 6 volts by being in Series - that is, one fan connects to the next one.      The First control wire simply applies power to the Fans in Series.

The Second Wire uses two relays to switch the fans to running in Parallel - so full 12v each.

Here's hoping someone else can put up a diagram for you.  You should be able to use the Relay assembly from an EL, AU, and some BA's for this

Hold that - Found this on Trueblueford.   Ignore the add-on from the left hand side - the right hand side (ECU, three relays, out to fans) is the factory diagram

Nigel

Attached File  ELfans.jpg   72.94KB   23 downloads

The 87 XF.... Now Moved to a new home
94 EF II XR8 is now retired - think "Driveline transplant"
96 EL Fairmont was the daily. 200Kw AU XR8 Engine, LPG Injection.

96 E36 BMW.   220kw AU XR8 Engine, ESS, Paddles....  Flys.    Just moved to a new home 

14 XR6T.   Daily.  "Im leaving it standard"

Older X Series..

#53 xfwagondamo

xfwagondamo
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:xf

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

How would the wiring go, if i was to use a thermo fan switch fro tridon, with the twin thermos with air con. Thanx in advance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users