ef falcon limp mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 projectxf

projectxf
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:09 AM

Hey guys ive got a ef falcon and it keeps going into limp mode now it only happens when the car heats up to normal operation temperature, now i was driving around yesterday and the auto started acting and slamming first to second then stopped and now every time the car heats up it puts itself in limp mode, just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before, any info is good info

cheers Jerome
Posted Image

oh yeh its got very expensive sheep skin seat covers in it

i wont be shitting on them ones lol

#2 Judgetread

Judgetread
  • PipPipPip
  • 1475 posts
  • Car:2004 BA MKII, V8 XF Fairmont Ghia, 200watt Electric Bike, Size 11 feet for walking & 1967 XT falcon

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

yeh I have, autobox was stuffed :(
The Judgetread Project
12.984 @ 106.29 MPH

PROJECT: Judge Mental
0.00 @ 0.00 MPH

#3 projectxf

projectxf
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:20 AM

what exactly was stuffed was the whole box rooted or did a solonoid shit itself?
Posted Image

#4 Judgetread

Judgetread
  • PipPipPip
  • 1475 posts
  • Car:2004 BA MKII, V8 XF Fairmont Ghia, 200watt Electric Bike, Size 11 feet for walking & 1967 XT falcon

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

wholebox, had to get a replacement. Best talking to a auto shop to find out whats the go.
The Judgetread Project
12.984 @ 106.29 MPH

PROJECT: Judge Mental
0.00 @ 0.00 MPH

#5 projectxf

projectxf
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

yeah I thinks that's gunna have to be the way to go off to the mechanics on Monday guess damn just pent nearly 400 getting the head done gunna be another big dig again
Posted Image

#6 FoX

FoX
  • PipPipPip
  • 4819 posts
  • Car:'94 LTD

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

hows it go with the head anyways?
Hey there, Im Brett

why put miles on ur pride and joy when u can put them on a shit box holden :D

#7 Ghia_Guy

Ghia_Guy
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Car:XD Fairmont Ghia

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

when the E-series goe into limp home mode(power light flashing on dash) mean tranny overheating, had this happen before after fitting 3000rpm stall. maybe fit a large tranny cooler but seek advice from tranny shop 1st

#8 xf beast

xf beast
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

when the E-series goe into limp home mode(power light flashing on dash) mean tranny overheating, had this happen before after fitting 3000rpm stall. maybe fit a large tranny cooler but seek advice from tranny shop 1st

It cant have gone into limp mode as the light never flashed.
I took it for another drive today and it wont select 2nd when changing manually and only seems to be using 1st and 2nd gears.
If i have it in drive then when im at speed and take my foot off the gas it seems to go into neutral and then select 2nd when i accelerate again??
Would this be the selector or the solenoids??

OOPS wrong thread i also have 1 going as i have issues with my trans in a 92 5.0 sounds cvery simmillar though.
Can you run a c4 or fmx in these models with smart lock??

Edited by xf beast, 28 November 2010 - 12:51 PM.
wrong thread

#9 xdrft

xdrft
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4991 posts
  • State:QLD

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

Sound like a crook trans, limp home mode will stick it in 3rd gear while in driveing around and find a shop who can scan it. If you buy a gregorys manual on the ef you will find a proceedure where you can extraxt codes manually, hard to do but if you can be arsed may shed some light on your problem.

#10 david

david
  • PipPipPip
  • 1845 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:36 PM

you can scan it yourself, when in limphome the timing is retarded and there is no blip of the power light on the dash, I had an xf and i should know

the BTR 4 speeds are crap in those cars, will not last over 160.000 if driven "properly", a trans cooler is a must if keep the slush box, cheaper to go manual, it transforms the car but you'll need a manual ECU which are readily avail now and cheap

you also only need the clutch pedal, it fits on the auto pedal box but you'll have to cut the brake pedal down otherwise you'll rip your knuckles to take the pedal box out
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

#11 Tyler06

Tyler06
  • PipPipPip
  • 3125 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

To both of you i have had this problem in half a dozen cars (e-series 5ltr and 4ltr) and you are better off getting a s/hand box or recon, All my ones have been solenoid probs and its just easier to change it. I do agree with david but these boxes are shit but i have an ef 5ltr (on 260k) that has original box in it untouched apart from servicing and it is mint to drive (touch wood).

350hp TE Ghia project

XE UTE 302 Clevo Toploader
FG MKII XR6

GQ Patrol 4.2d Work Horse 

#12 A7m

A7m
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Check for battery earthing, when the ECU detects a low battery voltage it will put the trans into limp. This usually happens when the electricaal load is high. Limp is 3rd and reverse gear only, no lockup max line pressure, it will drive very sluggishly.
I worked on falcon taxis fro a while and the BTR trans lasted very well, up to 800000km, albeit with larger coolers
A7M

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users