• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 masters24

masters24
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Car:XH XR6

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:59 AM

Has anyone got any idea why my fuel gauge is reading out incorrectly?
It will read accurately for the first half of the tank, but as soon as I gets lower than 1/2 a tank it starts telling me that the tank is full, or it is 3/4 full, or it is empty... there is definately an issue here, but I called in to see the ford blokes here, and one of them told me to go see and auto elec. So, not sure where the problem lies...
;) LEXI - the XH XR6 lady...:tongue:

#2 rynostation

rynostation
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:53 AM

Has anyone got any idea why my fuel gauge is reading out incorrectly?
It will read accurately for the first half of the tank, but as soon as I gets lower than 1/2 a tank it starts telling me that the tank is full, or it is 3/4 full, or it is empty... there is definately an issue here, but I called in to see the ford blokes here, and one of them told me to go see and auto elec. So, not sure where the problem lies...

get an aftermarket guage and sender installed. its not a big job about 100-130 in parts, probabaly take about 2-3 hourzs to install
Posted Image

#3 BIGCAV

BIGCAV
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13989 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:82 LTD

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:48 AM

dunno what it is but its a common ford problem in newer cars. mates ba does it too

c1tb.jpg

www.OzFalcon.com.au

#4 DaveGod

DaveGod
  • PipPipPip
  • 1004 posts
  • Car:351 Turbo XF

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:59 PM

Lol, my fuel gauage is always on empty, and my odometer doesnt work. I havent run out of fuel yet.
For Show ~ 351 Turbocharged XF S Pack FOR SALE

http://www.davidmckell.net

#5 geohatrick

geohatrick
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts
  • Car:zk fairlane

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:47 PM

lol when my fuel gauge gets to having two red lines left it means if i go up a hill ill run out of petrol lol so i just fill up when it gets to there i dunno why it doesn go all the way down to empty. this is with an xf spac dash in a gl.

Cheers Zac
Brown fairlane.... slow & lowered!

#6 Yellxf8

Yellxf8
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:09 PM

firstly disconnect the wiring loom at the tank. swith on the ignition. the gauge must obviosly read zero if not then the clster unit is cactus. switch off the ignition and reconnect the wiring loom.

put a voltmeter at the sender at the tank at the centre electrical located under the fuel sender cover and the negative to the body of the sender. with the tank full it should read 4.5 volts. if its half full then 2.2 -2.8 volts . if you get these readings but no show at the gauge then the fuel gauge is faulty or the wiring. if you get no voltage whatsoever the the sender unit is buggered. If you have a full tank and the centre post of the wiring loom indicates 4.5 volts or above and the gauge shows less than full then the gauge is cactus.

#7 geohatrick

geohatrick
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts
  • Car:zk fairlane

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:22 PM

thanks for that will try it on the weekend.
Cheers Zac
Brown fairlane.... slow & lowered!

#8 Gaz

Gaz
  • PipPipPip
  • 4358 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:56 PM

Do ypu have twin tanks? the puckin wiring on the XH twins is a nightmare.
GARY NOT FUNCTION BEER WELL WITHOUT

#9 masters24

masters24
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Car:XH XR6

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:13 PM

nah, just XR not outback... single tank...
tis confusing me... I am just getting to the stage that i only use 1/2 a tank, then fill it up again...

I will take the tuff liner out before anyone looks at it, or else there is just labour cost that i dont need to pay (fish-oil the tray while it is out too i guess)
;) LEXI - the XH XR6 lady...:tongue:

#10 hefurnahn

hefurnahn
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car:XF Falcon station wagon 3.3L auto, stock.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

As far as I can tell, my fuel gauge is functioning - I tested it by applying a 1.5V battery to the cluster input while the sender was disconnected and it read about 1/4 on the gauge.

With the sender unit connected the gauge needle slaps to full, which is not surprising since the sender output is 5.3V regardless of whether immersed in a 3/4 full tank or removed.

What is my best option for replacing the sender unit? What are the chances of finding a new sender unit? A 2nd-hand sender unit that wont fail 6 months from now? Is there an aftermarket/"non-genuine" product that will fit the bill?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know or can point me to the technical description of how the sender unit works. I read here somewhere that it uses a semiconductor as opposed to a variable resistor. I removed the bottom of the one I have and found no moving parts inside, which suggests that the unit uses the "admittance" of the fuel to regulate voltage output.

If I had a detailed schematic for the unit I could probably service the one I have or build a replacement board.

#11 xyturboute

xyturboute
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • State:NZ
  • Car:xy ute, xw wagon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

just got a xf ute,  when the key is turned on the gas needle goes hard over to full then back to empty and stays there, sender has three wires, will try disconnecting the sender and see what that does,  anyone had this problem,  

#12 agentkiwi

agentkiwi
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Car:FD LTD

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:48 AM

Do a search guys. The forum has covered fuel sender issues many times. Main culprit seems to be e10 fuel & there is a comprehensive write up on how to diagnose & fix it.
If you can't find it by doing a search, let us know & I'll try find it.
it should be fuel sender cleaning or refurbishment or restore or something like that.
Cheers
I spend most of my money on cars, women & booze & then I just waste the rest

#13 xyturboute

xyturboute
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Car:xy ute, xw wagon

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

found the problem,  the xf gauge had been fitted down in the right hand side heater vent area. works well.  the ute has  a 4 litre fuel injected engine/ t5   fitted.  so they must have changed the dash out,  what a rocket ship it is and good on gas too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users