188 replies to this topic

#1 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XE Spac

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

Time to do again what has been done by a lot of people before but is a much sort after thing that there was never enough of out of the factory. A V8 in an XE falcon. I've done this conversion before about 10 years and another life ago. I thought that it was time to have another crack as I have the itch again and by god I'm gunna scratch it!

I've had this car for about 9 years. I bought it after I crashed my last XE into an old school Patrol and come off second best. Always meant to put the running gear out of that into it but never got around to it. Then I needed money so I sold it and the opportunity passed. Ah well. Drove it for about 4 years then I switched camp to the dark side and bought a VL Turbo. Good fun but good they are a really poorly built car the keeps on breaking and breaking and breaking and breaking. Now that's gone and its time to reincarnate the old girl.

Out with the old!
Posted Image

Geez engine bays get dirty!
Posted Image

Got to love to the height of the front end with no engine!
Posted Image

Then I started the cleaning process. Not a lot of fun at all. Tried pressure washing and degreasing with truck wash but that stuff is hard to move. Funny how grease and oil come off not bad but road grime wont budge. I read some where in the forums that oven cleaner works well so I might have to give that a try.

Cos its a little bit cleaner it lets you see a few of the things that you otherwise might miss. Like a cracks and dodgy factory welds and rust. I'll get to work on them soon. Gotta find a welder first.

Bought a 302 cleveland to go in her for 250 bucks. I thought this was a good buy. Only thing is the bloke that I bought it off used to have a wreckers near where I am and took 5 complete 351C's and a ton of other parts to the scrap metal joint a week before cos he closed his yard. Bloody criminal! This was the last of what he had in his shed. But I guess I have to be happy with that.

Going to Melbourne tomorrow to pick up a C10 box and LSD dick brake arse end I bought off flea bay tomorrow. Should be good.

Attached Files

Edited by XES, 04 July 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#2 JordanXE

JordanXE
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts
  • Car:XD Sedan.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

Good stuff mate, Keen to see some pics:hy:
Jordan

#3 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:25 PM

Here's some pics of the motor
Posted Image
Posted Image

So now I have to get a new water pump, alternator and bracket, and power steering pump bracket. Water pump no worries would do that anyway but these other bits are a bit trickier to get a hold of. And this was supposed to be a "complete" Motor too...

But thems the breaks.

#4 KRUPTOR

KRUPTOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 2343 posts
  • Car:Ford..........

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

Mann that engine looks terrible...Where did you dig that up from.lol.
Looks like its been sitting for awhile,be sure to put a couple of squirts of oil into the cylinders and turn it over by hand without the plugs in it to make sure it spins freely and lubes the bores up.

Hit it with the gurny and give it a splash of paint,should be sweet.cheers
Build Thread to come.........:hy:

#5 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

I'm going to pull it down and give it a bit of a freshen up before it goes anywhere near the car. But your right its filthy. It'll make the before and afters so much better!! lol

#6 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Haven't been doing much lately. Picked up the gearbox and diff and are checking them out condition wise internally. Waiting on bloody tax money to come through to move on the motor. I spent today cleaning up the engine bay an bit. Scrubbed up alright. Now I've got to clean up a bit of the paint and she's ready to receive the drive train.

Posted Image

#7 toad351

toad351
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car:xe ghia351,BA GT

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

Good stuff,keen to see more of your project.
Nothings better than a CLEVO

#8 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

Did bit more to the old girl tonight. Changed the springs over for another set I bought. Dunno think it'll pass roadworthy but I'll see how it is when I get the motor in.

Started pulling the motor down. I now know why the motor was so dirty. The inlet manifold bolts were only a bit better than finger tight.

All the vacuum and emissions hoses off the carby.

Posted Image

Carby off

http://i852.photobuc...-08-10_2124.jpg

Surprise! Didn't expect to see this in here.

Posted Image

Inlet and rocker covers off

Posted Image

I'm pulling the heads and exhaust manifolds off in the next couple of days then they can all go to my old mans with a heap of other bits to be cleaned up. Its handy when you dad does zinc plating.:hy:

Quick question.

Are stock valve springs painted red in a 302C cos these ones are.

#9 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

Did a bit more today on the motor. Mostly cleaning and pulled the heads off. Doesn't look like there is any thing wrong in there which is a good thing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks alot cleaner now than before.

Edited by XES, 09 March 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#10 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

Made my new brake hoses for the back end today. Reckon they look pretty good. There is some good advantages to working at Enzed.

The old ones.

Posted Image

The new ones

Posted Image

I reckon they look a bit flash:)

Edited by XES, 09 March 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#11 tribal

tribal
  • Gold Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Car:Car-less

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

Much better :hy:

Any chance you could make me some (front & back) ?

Oven cleaner is your friend for cleaning that block up too...

#12 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

Yeah I'm going to make up my front ones in the next couple of days so I'll can work out the what ends are needed and put some pricing for a complete set up if you want. These ones are for a disc brake arse end out of an XF. What model have you got?

#13 staids

staids
  • Administrator Emeritus
  • 15630 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:HONDA CBR 600

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:04 AM

This Build is moving along, i think i'll subscribe.:hy:
Keep up the good work 8)

Well, in a way i'm a little steam engine.i've got the pulling power but not the gearing.

Information IS shock resistance: ARM YOURSELF.

#14 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

Cheers mate. Trying to keep things moving but as usual the money thing is always there. But I'll get there.

#15 KRUPTOR

KRUPTOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 2343 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

Just wanted to ask,was the motor (clevo) out of an F series truck???

#16 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

Just wanted to ask,was the motor (clevo) out of an F series truck???

Nah it come out of a 78 fairlane 500 by the engine number. The sump was taken off it cos they were going to put it in an F truck. So the story goes.

#17 KRUPTOR

KRUPTOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 2343 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

Sorry to be rude but would you be able to tell me your engine number???or atleast the first 2 letters???

#18 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

No probs at all. The engine number is JH37UB414O4K. Whats this about?

#19 KRUPTOR

KRUPTOR
  • PipPipPip
  • 2343 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

Just wondering,you motor looks like it is a blue clevo,i bought a black clevo motor (302) a few months back for my XD,it was spose to be out of a XE fairmont ghia (original one owner old fellow),Genuine black motor and my engine number is stamped in the same position where yours is stamped and my prefix starts with AH,also my sump has 2 drain plugs one at the front of the sump and one at the side of the sump,so im assuming i have a Fseries motor????Cause i have seen some Fseries sumps having the 2 drain plugs...very unusual.

#20 XES

XES
  • Administrator
  • 1287 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

Fair enough. Well i think that what I said for the engine number was roght. Going off availiable info anyways. And like I said the sump never come with the motor so I don't know about plugs in it. I've never had a look at an F series one but we get a few in at work sometimes so I might check it out. Can't imagine why you'd need two plugs tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users