#1 XTREME KARTS XF

XTREME KARTS XF
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:92 XF ute w/T5

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hi Guys, Gals, and Peeps,

Do you own an XD,XE.XF or an XG ute and the door handles have a load of slack in them before they actually open? and then your mate then goes to open the door and suddenly you hear a snap?

Well what I am going to do, is show you how to fix that problem all together so it never breaks again! :D.

Well to give you an insight of the problem, what normally happens is either the rod on the black door handle itself has either snaped or the plated gold looking retainer has bent by previous owners to try and remove some slack in the handle.

There are a few things you can do to fix this so it never happens again, if its just the retainer thats bent then the repair is easy. If its the black rod on the Handle itself thats broken then there is a couple of options you can go for. You may have to purchase a new door handle from Ford depending on how broken it is, but you can shorten the broken rod by 5mm and then weld it back together, or you can take the easy option, and just purchase a new door handle, and run a bolt straight through the handle and into the gold retainer, being careful you don't damage the lip that holds the retainer in place when drilling, which is probably the way to go instead of welding the rod back together. The only reason you run a bolt through the retainer is purely so that the spring doesn't loose its tension ever again.

Here is a list of tools you are going to need:

Flat Bladed Screw Driver
1 Very long Phillips Screw Driver with a No. 2 Tip
Long Nosed Pliers
7mm Spanner
8mm Socket, 1/4 drive along with an Extension and Ratchet
A 1/4 drive Speed Brace if you have one
Either a 11/64 or an 4mm Drill Bit
A Cordless Drill, or a Compressed Air Drill, something that you can drill with
A Vice
WD40
1x 1 inch long, 4mm Cap Screw, an M4 Nylock Nut, 2 Washers, a short one to go on the outside of the door handle, and a larger one that will sit on the inside of the door under neath the nut, or at least some sort of screw thats 1 inch, don't use mushroom headed or bladed screws because they will just be a pain....
And last but not least a good mate to help you out :)

Now if your shortening the Rod then you will need the following extra:

Oxy/acetylene Welder and a bronze welding rod, low heat is a MUST

Here is how it's done:

1. Remove Door Trim, Window Handle and the plastic bit that goes over the Side Mirror.

2. Partly remove Plastic Door Weather Covering and the remove the Door Handle. To remove the door handle you will either need an 8mm socket or that long Phillips Screw Driver, and possibly a shorter one to remove the other screw, or you can just use the speed brace and have the screws off in seconds! Note that you may need to drill a hole big enough to access the screw/bolt on the screw that sits towards the rear of the vehicle, if you already have a pre-cut hole to access that screw/bolt then thats one less thing to do.

3. Inspect your Door Handle and pop it in to your Vice, don't do it up tight.

4. This is where you determine what the repair is that is needed, here is what you need to do if its just the retainer thats bent:

4a. Remove the Gold Retainer, springs, washers, so that the Door Handle is bare
4b. There is a pre-drilled hole in the middle of the handle where the retainer sits, and its a lip, get your good friend to help put back pressure on that handle so that when you start drilling, your door handle doesn't fall through the vice. Start Drilling, but drill VERY careful so you don't damage this lip, because this lip holds our gold retainer in place!
4c. Once you have drilled all the way through, clean the hole up a bit like a good quality person, then put the retaining spring back in place first, then run your new bolt through the handle, make sure you put your small washer on the weather side of the door handle, along with the bolt head itself!, then the gold retainer goes back on, then the bigger washer goes on next, then screw the nylock lock, don't screw it up tight just yet. Note that if you got a cap screw like we did you are going to need your good friend again to screw the cap screw in with some long nose pliers while your holding the door handle and spanner.

Test drive the handle in your hand, tighten up the nut then test it again until you feel you've got the correct tension. Last thing you do before it goes back on the door, drown the handle with lubricant, your can of WD40 will do the trick.

The finished Result should resemble this:

Picture

4d. Now re-install in the reverse order you took it apart

5. This is what to do if you opt to weld the rod back into place, again, you can just purchase a new door handle from Ford and simply follow step 4.

5a. If your welding the rod you need to cut it about 3mm then re weld it by overlapping it.
5b. When you weld use VERY low heat and bronze tack weld it, if you don't have access to one you local Panel Beater, or an Engineering Worskshop, or even a mate who has a welder will do just fine. Tell them to bronze tack weld it with VERY low heat.

5c. If your worried you can't weld, don't do it, because chances are you'll ruin the whole thing, and again, just get a new door handle :).

Hopefully this will help some people, please note that if I have written anything that should be corrected, don't be afraid to do so! I am always open to opinions or even better ways to rectify the problem. Just send me a PM.

Edited by XTREME KARTS XF, 05 January 2010 - 06:48 PM.

• krouzi likes this
NO SHED MONKEYS!!!
italian 100cc kart engine + 20,000 RPM + 1" off the ground + 140 km/h = nuff said

where the hell can you buy continental sausages at 10pm on a saturday night ?

Is your new business a mobile sexshop?

#2 XTREME KARTS XF

XTREME KARTS XF
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

Pictures up later tonight.
NO SHED MONKEYS!!!
italian 100cc kart engine + 20,000 RPM + 1" off the ground + 140 km/h = nuff said

#3 XTREME KARTS XF

XTREME KARTS XF
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

aaaaaah... woops! this was supposed to go into the DIY Guides! :???: Unless someone kindly stickys it for me??? :)
NO SHED MONKEYS!!!

#4 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:XE Ute

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Well done on the write up, will be useful to a few people im sure. Note: the main reason for the problems in the first place is the hinge bushes wearing and letting the door hang on the striker catch. Do a search, its been covered many a time :hy:

Sig01.jpg

n00bus Ute Build: Click Here

#5 XTREME KARTS XF

XTREME KARTS XF
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:44 PM

yeah thanks mate its also really shit alloy as well

mark
NO SHED MONKEYS!!!

#6 nathan

nathan
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts
  • Car:XF S Pack

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

pictures please, i just fell victim to a damn door handle!

Speed doesn't kill. Quickly becoming stationary, that's what gets ya!

Project Thread:http://www.xfalcon.c...ead.php?t=28694

#7 wydnloxf

wydnloxf
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Car:1987 XF Falcon GL(S) 4.1 Carby Auto

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

hows this for xf door handle failure

My partner went into labour today, thats fine, trusty xf turns over every time.

Get to emergency, park the car, run inside with the misses, get her upstairs settled, go to move the car out of emergency bay and "snap"

passenger side door handle gone.

I think, oh well, its only the passenger side, go to open my drivers side door and "snap"

Now my lowered, dirty, scraggly looking xf is stuck in the emergency bay with doors I can't get into, and I didn't even have a coat hanger or tape

RACV bloke laughed and told me to carry spare door handles

Worst thing is tonight I was going to fit the replacements after work tonight :(

#8 XTREME KARTS XF

XTREME KARTS XF
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

thats gotta suck big time dude!!!!! i'll post some pics up now
NO SHED MONKEYS!!!

#9 staids

staids
  • Administrator Emeritus
  • 15630 posts
  • Car:HONDA CBR 600

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

Thank's EXTREME, this thread is Stickied!:)

Well, in a way i'm a little steam engine.i've got the pulling power but not the gearing.

Information IS shock resistance: ARM YOURSELF.

#10 xiLe

xiLe
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts
  • Car:1989 XF Panel Va

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

ricky I got some handles for you brother ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Paul's 1989 XF Pano Project - [email=""]Paul@xfalcon.com[/email]
What do you call a Hyundai with dual exhausts? ... A wheelbarrow.

#11 nathan

nathan
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts
  • Car:XF S Pack

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

thats gotta suck big time dude!!!!! i'll post some pics up now

..........................:???:

Speed doesn't kill. Quickly becoming stationary, that's what gets ya!

Project Thread:http://www.xfalcon.c...ead.php?t=28694

#12 XTREME KARTS XF

XTREME KARTS XF
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

i took these pics when i repaired my passenger door handle for roadworthy as i couldn't be bothered replacing it hehe. luckily it some how lost its spring tension....dont ask why lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

4mm metric cap screw about 1inch long. 2 washers a large one for the nylock nut and a smaller one for the head of the bolt. Posted Image

knocking the gold arm back into shap as it was bent. Posted Image

i didn't have a 4mm drill bit so 11/64 did the job so i used my cross chart. Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

a good family friend of mine helped me out with the repair work. he did this on his XD and comperny XF ute about 15 years ago.

Edited by XTREME KARTS XF, 05 March 2010 - 10:34 PM.

NO SHED MONKEYS!!!

#13 Dfalconmania

Dfalconmania
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Car:XD 351 & Defenda

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

Hi Guys, Gals, and Peeps,

Do you own an XD,XE.XF or an XG ute and the door handles have a load of slack in them before they actually open? and then your mate then goes to open the door and suddenly you hear a snap?

Well what I am going to do, is show you how to fix that problem all together so it never breaks again! :D.

Well to give you an insight of the problem, what normally happens is either the rod on the black door handle itself has either snaped or the plated gold looking retainer has bent by previous owners to try and remove some slack in the handle.

There are a few things you can do to fix this so it never happens again, if its just the retainer thats bent then the repair is easy. If its the black rod on the Handle itself thats broken then there is a couple of options you can go for. You may have to purchase a new door handle from Ford depending on how broken it is, but you can shorten the broken rod by 5mm and then weld it back together, or you can take the easy option, and just purchase a new door handle, and run a bolt straight through the handle and into the gold retainer, being careful you don't damage the lip that holds the retainer in place when drilling, which is probably the way to go instead of welding the rod back together. The only reason you run a bolt through the retainer is purely so that the spring doesn't loose its tension ever again.

Here is a list of tools you are going to need:

Flat Bladed Screw Driver
1 Very long Phillips Screw Driver with a No. 2 Tip
Long Nosed Pliers
7mm Spanner
8mm Socket, 1/4 drive along with an Extension and Ratchet
A 1/4 drive Speed Brace if you have one
Either a 11/64 or an 4mm Drill Bit
A Cordless Drill, or a Compressed Air Drill, something that you can drill with
A Vice
WD40
1x 1 inch long, 4mm Cap Screw, an M4 Nylock Nut, 2 Washers, a short one to go on the outside of the door handle, and a larger one that will sit on the inside of the door under neath the nut, or at least some sort of screw thats 1 inch, don't use mushroom headed or bladed screws because they will just be a pain....
And last but not least a good mate to help you out :)

Now if your shortening the Rod then you will need the following extra:

Oxy/acetylene Welder and a bronze welding rod, low heat is a MUST

Here is how it's done:

1. Remove Door Trim, Window Handle and the plastic bit that goes over the Side Mirror.

2. Partly remove Plastic Door Weather Covering and the remove the Door Handle. To remove the door handle you will either need an 8mm socket or that long Phillips Screw Driver, and possibly a shorter one to remove the other screw, or you can just use the speed brace and have the screws off in seconds! Note that you may need to drill a hole big enough to access the screw/bolt on the screw that sits towards the rear of the vehicle, if you already have a pre-cut hole to access that screw/bolt then thats one less thing to do.

3. Inspect your Door Handle and pop it in to your Vice, don't do it up tight.

4. This is where you determine what the repair is that is needed, here is what you need to do if its just the retainer thats bent:

4a. Remove the Gold Retainer, springs, washers, so that the Door Handle is bare
4b. There is a pre-drilled hole in the middle of the handle where the retainer sits, and its a lip, get your good friend to help put back pressure on that handle so that when you start drilling, your door handle doesn't fall through the vice. Start Drilling, but drill VERY careful so you don't damage this lip, because this lip holds our gold retainer in place!
4c. Once you have drilled all the way through, clean the hole up a bit like a good quality person, then put the retaining spring back in place first, then run your new bolt through the handle, make sure you put your small washer on the weather side of the door handle, along with the bolt head itself!, then the gold retainer goes back on, then the bigger washer goes on next, then screw the nylock lock, don't screw it up tight just yet. Note that if you got a cap screw like we did you are going to need your good friend again to screw the cap screw in with some long nose pliers while your holding the door handle and spanner.

Test drive the handle in your hand, tighten up the nut then test it again until you feel you've got the correct tension. Last thing you do before it goes back on the door, drown the handle with lubricant, your can of WD40 will do the trick.

The finished Result should resemble this:

Picture

4d. Now re-install in the reverse order you took it apart

5. This is what to do if you opt to weld the rod back into place, again, you can just purchase a new door handle from Ford and simply follow step 4.

5a. If your welding the rod you need to cut it about 3mm then re weld it by overlapping it.
5b. When you weld use VERY low heat and bronze tack weld it, if you don't have access to one you local Panel Beater, or an Engineering Worskshop, or even a mate who has a welder will do just fine. Tell them to bronze tack weld it with VERY low heat.

5c. If your worried you can't weld, don't do it, because chances are you'll ruin the whole thing, and again, just get a new door handle :).

Hopefully this will help some people, please note that if I have written anything that should be corrected, don't be afraid to do so! I am always open to opinions or even better ways to rectify the problem. Just send me a PM.

hey mate thats cool we used to do it by locating the long rod that runs down to the lock mec and just grab it with pliers and put the smallest kink in it u can adjust it to u'r own specs lol just bend close the door and try if still loose just bend a tad more remember little at a time is best but yours works too good on ya mate for lettn peeps know ur tricks lol when xd/e/f's used to be newer me n my mates kept lil trade secrets like this too ourselves lmao but times change i guess oh well ta again.
p.s can get it down 2 1 finger ops this way just a slight touch(like liftn this missus skirt light)

p.s.s... lmao sorry mate posted reply then seen ur pics lmao my way is too stop that bolt from breaking the bolt breaks because the long rod that it attachs the handle to the door stretches over time but if u regularly(like once evrey 2 years) do as i told u above u will not break handles nor replace them any questions ask me i got heaps man u wouldnt wanna see how ford used too cut down on outside wind noise coming throu u'r door jamb gap lol from gl to fairymont to fairlane to ltd lol big rubber mallet two blokes and have at the top of the door lmao ..........wanna know best way too roll wheel arches for wide wheels gauranteed no dents no bog no need for repaint butrwait i got more lmao u just gotta ask a closed mouth gets no food.

Edited by Dfalconmania, 16 July 2010 - 01:38 AM.
see pics after posti then got boredso i thought it needed add. txt

#14 xf-087

xf-087
  • PipPipPip
  • 11428 posts
  • State:ACT
  • Car:4x4 triton ute

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

lol got to love the xfal door handles

i've just replaced the pins and bushes in my xf and then replaced the handle (last week) with a new one i've had in the shed for a couple of years. but i never modded the handle like i usually do................ took it to a mates place (pannel beater/ locksmith)this arvo got the door opening and closing sweet ............. before i left his place the lever fell off the back of the handle

looks like i'll be doing the mod on tues, weds or thurs lol

the triton lives again with some added extras lol

#15 patrick quigley

patrick quigley
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

well done i've done this but not right throw i just drilled a little hole and taped it and put a little bolt in it

#16 wazzy250

wazzy250
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Car:xe s pack sedan

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

fark for all the mucking around only 20 bucks for a spanker

#17 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts
  • Car:XE Ute

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

fark for all the mucking around only 20 bucks for a spanker

True, but if youve ever had a spanker in your right hand and a genuine fomoco unit in your left then you will want to repair the old one. I do this same mod to every handle i fit either old or brand new, saves a lot of time later on pulling it out again. Ive got 4 genuine handles on the LTD with new supercheap faces fitted, its an easy swap and for some reason the chrome handles are more robust than the black ones, it might have something to do with the hardened chrome plating.

Sig01.jpg

n00bus Ute Build: Click Here

#18 XTREME KARTS XF

XTREME KARTS XF
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

we all have our own opinions but this repair i did last year it was very affective and it got me through road worthy. the lasted a long time untill....my ex GF broke it again....
NO SHED MONKEYS!!!

#19 ZC-Cruiser

ZC-Cruiser
  • PipPipPip
  • 1924 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

for some reason the chrome handles are more robust than the black ones, it might have something to do with the hardened chrome plating.

Not only that, if you park in the sun, the black ones try to set your hand on fire when you open the door!

#20 martyb

martyb
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Car:august 79 xd pano

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

the door hinges on the barn doors of my pano were worn out so i used a pushrod which was the right size to replace the pins had to run a drill bit through them to clear the rust out first then hammered in the pushrod and cut off the excess then welded both end on to the steel. the driver door hinge and passenger door hinges i was able to get the nylon bushes from ford for the hinges which stopped the door sag which stopped the door handles braking so often the passenger door striker plate was from factory 3 mm too low so i raised ti the 3 millimeters and stopped that door handle braking . mine is a august 79 pano and i think they simply spot welded the door pillar steel 3 mmm out from the corect position from new.so it does pay to look for the long term cause of the door problem if you get sick of replacing the handles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users