10 replies to this topic

#1 Brycevr

Brycevr
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:XF pano, TE cort

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

I'm about to do a full swap of everything from a ZL Fairlane into an XF Pano, so if you have a ute the same things apply.
This is about the diff.
You have to weld saddles so the axle tubes sit squarely with the leaves mounting, adapt the handbrake and change the master cylinder for the discs.
I'm picking up my donor this weekend so I'll document this part of the conversion here as well as I can, so everyone may benefit from the collective wisdom of the advice I've got here, all in one place.

Step one
get donor car or all of the bits.
I'm starting with a donor so I'll spell out everything I take from it an maybe suggest a better way.
Step 2
work out roughly how much time it will take and triple it.
Step 3
Clean your space, wash the cars and your tools and the dog and anything else close to the job. If you have time take a slow shower with the missus because she won't go near you until you're clean again. Drive trains and suspension are severely dirty jobs. :)
Step 4
Prep the donor. You are taking out the rear axle, it can't be moved again, EVER until you put another in, so park it where the scrap yard can pick it up.
Step 5
Make sure your spare car is cool. If it belongs to the missus, then make sure she doesn't have an advanced quilt making class or something similar on that day. You may need to run down the road and find that fandangly doohickey thingememibob that wasn't serviceable from the donor or you busted getting it out/in.
I'll add some more tomorrow

Edited by Brycevr, 17 December 2009 - 01:32 AM.

Posted Image

I used to be apathetic, now, I just don't care

#2 Chops

Chops
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:91 XF Panelvan

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

ey nice i was wondering about a coil over conversion :) i was thinkin about bagging my pano sometime in the future and im pritty sure its easyer if there coil overs

#3 slydog

slydog
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13530 posts
  • Car:Your wife

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

Smashed this one bro...

Slydog

#4 Guest_thunderbolt_*

Guest_thunderbolt_*

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

Step 4
Prep the donor. You are taking out the rear axle, it can't be moved again, EVER until you put another in, so park it where the scrap yard can pick it up.

yes
don't park the car behind the house at a right angle to the drive way (like i did):weirdo:

#5 lowxdute

lowxdute
  • PipPipPip
  • 3528 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

hahaha classic :)

#6 Cal_91

Cal_91
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Car:NL, mini, XD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

What on earth happened to this thread? How much allowed time was there before you tripled it?? Lol

#7 windsored

windsored
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • State:NT
  • Car:xf van xd ute

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

I think he discovered that coil spring diffs are for sedans, not panel vans, LOL.

#8 Cal_91

Cal_91
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Car:NL, mini, XD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

That is why its called a "conversion"....

#9 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:XE Ute

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Ive seen pics of this exact setup and was done quite well. The bottom control arm bracket was cut with a flat bottom and the spring pad was welded onto it incorporating some drop into the housing by adding distance between the tube and the spring pad. The using the top control arm set exactly as it was in the sedan it was fitted up and bolted thru the chassis rail in the same manner incorporating some anti tramp rods at the same time. Exactly the same way the GTs were set up.

Sig01.jpg

n00bus Ute Build: Click Here

#10 hardie_kid

hardie_kid
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Car:1985 XF ute

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

should finish this, i want to put springs in the back of my xf ute! and disc brakes! haaha

#11 Chops

Chops
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:91 XF Panelvan

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

is there any updates on the conversion? im interested on how it rides and handles?
"It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users