• Please log in to reply
508 replies to this topic

#501 AVATAR

• PipPipPip
  • 4066 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:XD 351

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

Love the vids, noticed the diff stays a lot more stable. These are similar to what the RPO36 (cop car) have, above the leaf , but there not adjustable for pre load, I've been wondering if it's worth fitting them back in, and about a way to pre load them a bit..any advantage over caltrack under diff? ( other than ground clearance possibly)
" She’s the ducks guts Max – you can shut the gate on this one."
XSERIES Kings of the streets!

#502 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts
  • Car:XE Ute

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:20 PM

Yeah heaps over the caltracks.. the caltraks stop spring windup to overcome pinion angle changes, but these top arms take it to the next level by stopping the housing from winding under load and directing all that force into the chassis. Ive seen many 9" cars with caltraks snap u bolts and spin the diff on the perches. Because the caltrak only supports the leaf spring not the diff and the u bolt takes all and load. The control arms take all that load away from the actual suspension and let it do its job regardless of what is going on with traction or engine load. Look at any 4 link car, even the stock coil spring falcon, you always flog out the top bushes because they transfer all the load, the bottom arms just hold the diff in its position in the wheel arch, the tops ones do all the heavy lifting. Now if u dont have top arms all that load is transfered thru thr u bolts and then into the leaf spring pack... which is why they wind up. And the caltrak tries to stop this at the wrong end of the problem. It treats a symptom not a cause.

Sig01.jpg

n00bus Ute Build: Click Here

#503 AVATAR

• PipPipPip
  • 4066 posts
  • Car:XD 351

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:14 AM

So by following the load path the top control arm gets a real flogging.

The bush in the factory tramp bars ( that connect into the chassis above the leaf springs) gets a lot of work, the set I have here has the bushes serverly worn out. I remember somebody saying that this is why people often just removed them when the bush chopped out ( as they were a add on anyway)

Since the factory bush is rubber, what would you recommend, I know nolathane or simlar bush is a harder compound and its not bonded to the inner race like a rubber bush. Would that be the better way? Ive seen the bush advertised.

You can definatly see that diff stays a lot more stable.

Was there a difference from driving the two set ups? The car looked like it tracked a little better.
" She’s the ducks guts Max – you can shut the gate on this one."
XSERIES Kings of the streets!

#504 crazy2287

crazy2287
  • Administrator
  • 4913 posts
  • Car:Ford Falcon XF

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

How good is it to see/have all that work put onto the ground and do it's job. Well done!

"Your X has a red book value of 50 cents - but you still love her and can't bear the thought of the 1000+ hours of restoration... being taken by some thoughtless knob who carelessly shits on your world... The value is to the owner." - XFEvil

#505 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF ute sold

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:02 PM

i'm surprised the manufacturers dont use that setup, works very well.
i wondered about the watts link being added, i saw one retrofitted to an old Transit van once.

#506 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts
  • Car:XE Ute

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:03 PM

Watts link wouldnt add to this dean.. the spring packs are like 2 solid beams that stop side to side movement, it would only aid in any flex of the rear hinge at the tailgate. I thought about fitting a panhard to it but there was no way it was moving side to side so i left it out.

Sig01.jpg

n00bus Ute Build: Click Here

#507 ghia35one

ghia35one
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
  • Car:1979 XD Fairmont

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:45 PM

well done mate, I think most members have a look in here occasionally and I think like me they are blown away with what your turning out, and the thought that's going into it

keep up the good work

#508 FOMOCOHO

FOMOCOHO
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • State:SA
  • Car:FORD FALCON

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

That's really cool Clint. When watching the videos it's tempting to watch the diff but if you keep one eye on the chassis x-member and the other eye on the turf you can really see it all. :nutsycuckoo:

Keep up the interesting stuff, we are taking notice!

Oh, and I know you cant see them with 22"rims but a can of bitumen paint brushed in those wheel arches would really quiten the ride too, me thinks. :1syellow1:

#509 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF ute sold

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:18 AM

any updates? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users