507 replies to this topic

#1 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:XE Ute

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

LOL ok well this is going to be a real budget friendly tart up using mostly well chanced upon parts and a little know how and a shed full of discarded parts left over from the LTD build so its going to be a little slow off the bat but the end result will be true CBSV style :D

I have recently aquired a dinged up old farm ute, 89 XF Spack and really in need of a retirement, so i was chasing a workhorse to stop me towing a trailer behind the LTD to the jobsite and something that wasnt too flash but looked like a tradesmans tilly. I parted ways with 500 gold coins and drove it home, gearbox was spewing tranny fluid out everywhere it could and the brakes were shot, sticky valves and a bad carb ment it was a real slow cruise aswell.

Heres a pick of it when i first got it home, in a bad way of sorts but it has potential, i fitted up the dragway indys i had as a spare set of shoes incase the fuzz didnt like my 18"s on the LTD, just to get it home so it has begun :D :hy:

Posted Image

So i set about getting it ready for RWC, cleaned out the rats nests and did some reletively quick rust repairs, nothing too bodgey i promise :hihi:
After all was said and done i had a registered ute with tray full of tool boxs all in a week ends work :hy:

Here she is now with a quick tart up to stop it looking like it was off to the crushers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Paint is really sad and shes got a bit of cellulite around the bum but from a distance it nearly looks ok. So after a while i got a bit of a bug biting at my toes, you know the one, and went back to work on it, this time with a little bit more of an idea about what i was looking for. So i kept my good eye out for a new front end as im a bit sick of the XF look as ive had a fair few in my time and always wanted to build an XE ute. So amazingly I chanced upon an old XE with a good front clip and a lot of cancer everywhere else. handed over another 150 coins for it and towed it home, sorry i didnt think to get any before pics but it was in real bad shape, someone had done a top job on the prep work and used a 2k primer over the factory white paint, grabbed it real well but then used some crappy as heck black industrial enamel over the top so it got a good shine but full of runs and rejection and worst of all didnt have a chance of bonding to the 2k primer so it was flaking off everywhere.

Heres the donar ute, the chickens new roosting house :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see the paint is so crappy it is simply peeling off with the aid of a planer blade and some elbow grease, so im just removing an old rust repair job that was done to the front of the bonnet and was flaring up again, grinded it out and fibreglass bogged it back into shape and filling it now

Posted Image

Heres the spoiler that got the same treatment, i am really surprised at how well it restored, it was really worse for wear and just needed all the crap scraped off sanded smooth and painted. Covered in bog dust but it looks like a bought one :hy:

Posted Image

Extra little goodies that come with the ute are a set of front coils, kings superlows, pacemaker tri-Y extractors and a 2.5" lukey system, coils will go in when the old front comes off the the zorst is in and along with the XE webber which was in good nick compared to the XF webber that was on it

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also on the list of things to swap is a XE solid state dizzy in the place of the EST setup, it needs a bit of an overhaul but will be done when i pull the engine out and swap it over from the XE into the XF aswell, i suspect it has a bit of a cam and the head has some intersting valve springs in it so it will get a backyard port/throat job just like the one in the pic above, coupled with a 350 holley on a mid range manifold should be a stout little combo all on our low low budget.

So i also got a tray full of discarded parts inlcuding doors, alts, starters, and other various crap, will have to sort that out one day.

Posted Image

Extra parts i have already swapped into it along the way are the B&M shifter from the old auto days in the LTD, still needs a surround made up for it, a good 60amp alternator, EF starter motor, a cheap saas steering wheel i had in the shed, and a spare tailgate that was a little straighter than the one it came with, and a tail light off my other donar ute back in mackay where the gate came from.

Posted Image

So some more updates will follow as soon as i finish the panel work and paint, ill fit it up inlcuding the springs and post some progress pics :hy:

So far all money spent includes
500 ute
150 spare ute
35 paint/bog
Ill keep a running tab on it all but i would expect it to turn some heads at under a 1000 bucks, as long as i dot get carried away like the last time :D

Edited by n00bus m@x1mus, 23 February 2010 - 03:17 PM.

Sig01.jpg

n00bus Ute Build: Click Here

#2 alco

alco
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Car:xffalcon xbcoupe

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

cool i love budget buildups

#3 ILIED

ILIED
  • PipPipPip
  • 6617 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:BL0.302

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

Cant wait bro

#4 AVATAR

• PipPipPip
  • 4066 posts
  • Car:XD 351

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

Wish I could help you in some way. Will follow the thread as I love xe...

#5 xiLe

xiLe
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts
  • Car:1989 XF Panel Va

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

sweet as !
Posted ImagePosted Image
Paul's 1989 XF Pano Project - [email=""]Paul@xfalcon.com[/email]
What do you call a Hyundai with dual exhausts? ... A wheelbarrow.

#6 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

cool i love budget buildups

Cant wait bro

Wish I could help you in some way. Will follow the thread as I love xe...

sweet as !

Cheers guys, I was just going to do all this on the side and not really draw any attention to it but i thought, nah i like to see buget builds like this from start to finish and see what some spare change and a bit of weekend warrior style effort can do to a tired and weathered old beast. Its good to see how far you can get when you dont care too much about that 5K paint job or that race built drive train, just crack a few jimmys and get into it in the back shed on the weekend. I am cheating a slight tad but, i have a lot of these parts sitting in the shed left over from the LTD but many things can be found if you just look hard enough, its a lot cheaper to buy complete wrecks then it is to buy just one part, buy the whole car just for the headlights, it might cost 100 bucks more but you have plenty of spares up your sleeve to swap out old worn ones and build one good car out of a few.
One thing i might be spending coin on is a set of clear indicators off rares, about 85 bucks i think for the pair, not too bad but an unneccesary cost that could be spent on something else, ill have to see what the wreckers can offer on amber ones, i have one good one but the passangers side is busted, most likely will hit my 30-40 bucks for a good pair anyways so ill weigh it up then :hy:

Sig01.jpg

#7 Vannin

Vannin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1906 posts
  • Car:351 Clevo' XF Van, Project XF Van, another Project XF Van, & XF UTE project trailer!

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

Just need the big:

"POWERED BY CENTRELINK"

Sticker in the back window............

Well done, will be watching the further adventures of!!!!!!

#8 JordanXE

JordanXE
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts
  • Car:XD Sedan.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

nice mate, hope she all goes to plan:hy:
Jordan

#9 Parraeels101

Parraeels101
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Car:VR Berlina :(

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:22 PM

Just need the big:

"POWERED BY CENTRELINK"

Sticker in the back window............

Well done, will be watching the further adventures of!!!!!!

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Posted Image

#10 stout250

stout250
  • PipPipPip
  • 2464 posts
  • Car:HJ60 Landcruiser

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:39 PM

Cool project Clint...

I saw a vinyl sticker on a Commodore ute yesterday... "Sex, Drugs And on the Dole"

Might compliment the "Corporate Sponsor" :hihi:

#11 Cruzr

Cruzr
  • PipPipPip
  • 3862 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

Pretty good buy and a cheap build so far!!!

Awsome choice of wheels, my favorite old school wheels!!! Chuck some spinners on and your set!!
Posted Image

#12 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

Pretty good buy and a cheap build so far!!!

Awsome choice of wheels, my favorite old school wheels!!! Chuck some spinners on and your set!!

yeah i picked them up a year or so back for 200 bucks, perfect examples too, no rust no damage, just needed a good polish up and they were like new again, just had to buy a set of nuts and they were on. 3 out of the 4 treads were rwc too, but i replaced the front 2 when i got the ute roady so they wouldnt winge.

Sig01.jpg

#13 Craigxr6

Craigxr6
  • xFalcon Event Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 5259 posts
  • State:SA
  • Car:S15 Silvia

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

*subscribes*

Should be a very good budget build. I can't wait and will no doubt take some tips from you for my ute :)

next she'll be carving her name into your left buttcheek with a butterknife while you sleep

#14 Thom

Thom
  • PipPipPip
  • 2472 posts
  • Car:58' customline

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

good build noobus
1937 Pick-Up project http://www.xfalcon.c...0176#post220176

.The guy I bought my 450 off is one of the mechanics there,he loves landys which makes me think maybe he loves the cock.

#15 ILIED

ILIED
  • PipPipPip
  • 6617 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

Can be done.
OBSEEN cost about $3000
Incl 4 new tires, 2 new headlights, 2 new taillights, number plates, rego, new windscreen, window tint, paint and application, new carpet, new oils and filters.

You'll prob spend more on piss while building it. I hope

#16 Steve Mcqueen

Steve Mcqueen
  • xFalcon Event Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 12028 posts
  • State:NSW
  • Car:XF Falcon sedan

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

Parra, great photoshop there man cracks me up.

#17 fordstu

fordstu
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Car:4.1 EFI 4 spd XF

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

excellent build ...love the sticker......

HAHA Rick Kelly the buck toothed little fairy, that jerk off could eat an apple through a picket fence.....LOL

oh you referring to the Roland Dane grizzle guts sooki la la likes to play in a crib all day nancy pants ???? lol

#18 n00bus m@x1mus

n00bus m@x1mus
  • Administrator
  • 13324 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Can be done.
OBSEEN cost about $3000
Incl 4 new tires, 2 new headlights, 2 new taillights, number plates, rego, new windscreen, window tint, paint and application, new carpet, new oils and filters.

You'll prob spend more on piss while building it. I hope

Yeah well im sort of leaving out the running costs in the total cost of the build, things like rego, tyres and oil changes are everyday expenses imo doesnt matter how much the car costs, im only taking into account actual outlay from farm wreck to finish product, registerd or not the expense will be the same :hy:

Sig01.jpg

#19 ILIED

ILIED
  • PipPipPip
  • 6617 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, fair enough, I just added them cos I did it all bascally at once.
There's sooo much on my list you wont need. You'll be cruising in (or out) style in no time.

#20 AVATAR

• PipPipPip
  • 4066 posts
  • Car:XD 351

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

you can get cheap 2k solid paint kits on eBay .. I just type car paint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users