12 replies to this topic

#1 djr 351

djr 351
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Hey guys, iv'e got an xf 5 speed here but i need to know if it is a t5,
It only has "Borg Warner" cast into it,There is #'s on it to,
Does anyone out there know what it could be?

#2 stout250

stout250
  • PipPipPip
  • 2464 posts
  • Car:HJ60 Landcruiser

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

is the case rounded(old 5sp), or is there lots of horizontal ridges(t5)?

another way to tell is by the shift pattern, if reverse is next to first, its an old borgy, a T5 will have reverse next to fourth...

#3 djr 351

djr 351
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

The case has horazontal lines and reverse is next to fourth, A guy asked me today if it had 6 bolts to bolt the bellhousing on or 8, but mine only appears to have 4, im trying to get a conversion bellhousing for it, but if i cant properly id it.....Well, im not to sure what do do.....

#4 stout250

stout250
  • PipPipPip
  • 2464 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

Sounds like a t5, what are you trying to join it up to? the t5's only had 4 bolts to the bellhousing, and 4 bolts from the bellhousing to the crossflow.

#5 djr 351

djr 351
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

Yea it must be a t5, Now dont go telling me it wont be strong enough but im bolting it up to the back of my Cleavo, But it should be fine i reckon as its just a cruiser, What you reckon?

#6 tru-blu

tru-blu
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

this is what a t5 looks like, the 6 and 8 versions look the same
http://cgi.ebay.com....14#ht_500wt_975

this is the dellow catalogue, on page 12 is some useful info about the different t5's available to help with getting a conversion housing:
http://www.dellowaut...wAutomotive.pdf

And to answer your question for a mild clevo it should be fine :hy:
Kev
March 79 XD Fairmont Ghia factory 302 Project thread
MB Barina- Yeah its a holden [suzuki built] but its $120 a week cheaper on fuel...

#7 djr 351

djr 351
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Great stuff man! Thanks for your help,

#8 stout250

stout250
  • PipPipPip
  • 2464 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:00 PM

Putting it behind a clevo should be fine... T5's are known for spitting third gear, so dont go slamming it in third under revs...

The T5's found in Aussie cars are found in all manual falcons from late xf up to the series one BA's all the six cylinder ones apart from the BA ones are the same, apart form a couple of ratio changes, the T5's found behind V8's had a different length input shaft, so unless you have a custom bellhousing, or a spacer, they wont fit.

Commodores also had T5s over the same period of time, but they were too different to use (splines, extension housings etc...)

#9 ~APEX~

~APEX~
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Car:XD Pano

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:23 PM

You can use the 6 cylinder t5 behind a Clevo, the gears are only slightly smaller than a single rail or toploader and they have a nicer shift. In fact the 6cyl box is the best choice if you want the shifter to come through the console in the right place. Just get a toploader or single rail bellhousing modified to take the t5 box, turn down the nosecone to fit the smaller hole in the belhousing and it all fits nicely. V8 boxes as stout250 says have longer input shafts, so longer bellhousing, so you have to cut the trans tunnel and modify the console. And they are much more expensive. There are some other threads explaining this, search for 6cyl t5 behind V8

#10 xrglen

xrglen
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

hi, the sigma 5 speeds had a alloy bellhousings with webing and all the x-flow bellhousings were cast iron with no webing... cheers

#11 MacDaddy

MacDaddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

hi, the sigma 5 speeds had a alloy bellhousings with webing and all the x-flow bellhousings were cast iron with no webing... cheers

yep. you can identify an xflow t5 easily - on the side about halfway along the case there are two bolts almost vertically inline. both sides from memory.

T5's are known for spitting third gear, so dont go slamming it in third under revs...

Also, 5th is a bit weak in tremec 5 speeds, even with TKOs. I was advised to avoid boosting hard in overdrive... but that would also mean that i was going stupid quick...

#12 Jarvie93xfute

Jarvie93xfute
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:Xf ute

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

So can you bolt the t5 from your crossflow straight onto your clevo with out a belhousing swap?

#13 Jarvie93xfute

Jarvie93xfute
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • State:WA
  • Car:Xf ute

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

I have heard that you can bolt a clevo direct to the sigma gearbox. Any truth in that ? Or is crap?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users