17 replies to this topic

#1 mika44

mika44
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Car:'85 Transit

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

Hey guys,

Ive got a 1985 Mk2 Ford Transit (Ex Postie Van)

I joined up because i will be rebuilding the Crossflow engine soon so it can be able to tow my track car and i need all the help i can get. At the moment it has trouble getting to 100kph with nothing in it :

Here's some pics

Attached Files

#2 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4003 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:XF ute

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

Gday and welcome,

Check the obvious things first, like accelerator cable opening the carby enough.

if it has a tacho (engine revs) you'd soon see why if its still got the original diff? they were 4.6:1 ratio at the tallest. = about 3800rpm at 100kmh. revving its nuts off compared to a falcon at 2500 ish

i've got a Mk2 transit also(1978 ), it has a modified falcon diff in it around 2.92:1 ratio. good for the highway.(was done in BJ automotive in cheltenham? i believe, hes a Transit wrecker )

while i was in Geelong Differentials recently there was a MK1 transit getting 3.23 ratio fittted to the Original diff, so if its diff ratio only that might be an option.

i'm about to fit a good second hand XE 1982 falcon motor to mine, due to the motor in mine having a suspect burnt valve.

in My opinion you should get a compression test done on your motor(if its a 250/4.1 motor, a stock one will be fine, Transit are lighter than a falcon according to the rego sticker? )
if the motor is fine, it may be just tuning,. but i'd almost bet it will have the stock diff ratio in it looking at your wheels(mine has Falcon brakes and wheels all round after the conversion.)

Edited by deankdx, 15 June 2009 - 11:59 AM.

#3 mika44

mika44
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

Yer i'd assume it has the stock diff as everything is stock. Almost feels like it has turbo lag, has no power at all down low, cant even spin the one wheel on dirt or wet road. And then it goes better up high, but still gutless. There is no tacho in the van. I thought the higher the diff ratio the better acceleration it should have? Wouldn't a lower diff gear make it slower?

The throttle cable is fine as the carby opens fully, i had it tuned not long ago and that got me heaps better fuel economy (200kms to 60litres of gas to 450kms to 60ltrs) but still same power.

I plan to follow the build in the 300bhp thread, but it has to stay auto and i want to keep the stock diff so might have to get a custom diff center if it doesnt cost too much. Rings need replacing anyway so may aswell put a Crow Cam 14650 in with extractors and a 2bbl manifold and holly 500. That should make it run a shite load better.

Edited by mika44, 15 June 2009 - 01:57 PM.

#4 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4003 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

fuel economy is good,

i'd say it should lay rubber easy if its got the 4.6 diff ratio

i'd be doing a compression check. see whats its like from there.

#5 XE S PAK

XE S PAK
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:82 XE S Pak

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

Welcome
I like transits too cool vans with alot of potential.

Cheers mate

Dirk
HOLDEN
GO BROKE :the_finger:

FALCON THE CAR THATS WON MORE AWARDS THAN THE OTHER

#6 Gassed250

Gassed250
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

where are you located?

a falc diff is a good move the two fiddy dont like to have its neck wrung

if its got the iron head just pull it out and drop in a good one im sure someone here has a good xe-f stocker

if you want to fit a holley be prepared to do some firewall cutting

Edited by Gassed250, 28 June 2009 - 08:21 PM.

#7 cleetus

cleetus
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

g,day and welcome to the site

#8 christosmon

christosmon
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:37 PM

awesome van, i reckon these have to be the coolest vans around

#9 mika44

mika44
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:46 PM

cheers guys.

im in taylors lakes.

i thought i might need to mod the firewall to fit a larger carbie.

I plan to fit the larger cam, new inlet manifold, larger carbie and some extractors and thats about it all to a fresh motor

where are you located?

a falc diff is a good move the two fiddy dont like to have its neck wrung

if its got the iron head just pull it out and drop in a good one im sure someone here has a good xe-f stocker

if you want to fit a holley be prepared to do some firewall cutting

#10 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

cheers guys.

im in taylors lakes.

i thought i might need to mod the firewall to fit a larger carbie.

I plan to fit the larger cam, new inlet manifold, larger carbie and some extractors and thats about it all to a fresh motor

Can i bug you for some pics of the engine bay please. especially the EGR pipe under the cowel.
i just fitted a single barrel manifold on an XE motor and bent crap out of the EGR pipe to make it fit, but it JUST fits.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 mika44

mika44
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

Yer ill take some pics. But im 99% sure i dont have that EGR pipe

#12 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

Yer ill take some pics. But im 99% sure i dont have that EGR pipe

yeah wouldnt supprise me if its not there.
the motor i took out had the pipe removed, i need this to pass RWC

#13 mika44

mika44
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Yer there is no pipe on mine, just blocked up. Did they even have them there stock? There's no room for it.

Posted Image

Are the Holley 350/500 carbs that much wider than the stock ones? Even if they are wider it looks like it will fit if i modify the water drain from the back of the bonnet

Posted Image

#14 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

Gassed250 is more of an expert with the Transit, i dont know.
i have seen the XE webber carb and manifold in the Transit, but it looked tight.
i deliberatly refitted the stock setup with carby, as they are better for duel fuel.

theres a few different Holley manifolds, i wondered whether to try them. some look like they might go close.

i still gave that bonnet drain a bit of a bash, it hasnt got the drain pipe there like yours. so i'll move the coil so it doesnt get rained on.

#15 Fingers

Fingers
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Car:XD sedan

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

I am pretty sure the Transit (and the F100 of the era also) didn't have an EGR valve fitted from the factory. The emission laws were a bit more lenient for commercial vehicles than passenger cars.
Richard
Owner of the worlds ugliest XF ute.
Racing beige with a piss yellow bonnet
4wd front suspension and a canopy like a block of flats!

#16 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4003 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

I am pretty sure the Transit (and the F100 of the era also) didn't have an EGR valve fitted from the factory. The emission laws were a bit more lenient for commercial vehicles than passenger cars.

that does ring a bell, but my RWC mob picked it cos it was a falcon motor with bits of the EGR still there. so they wanted it fitted.

#17 Gassed250

Gassed250
  • PipPipPip
  • 1033 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:09 AM

just looking through a ford workshop manual and thers no EGR pipe on the transit

The problem with fitting the holley isnt the width of the actual carb but the manifold itself, if you take your engine cover off and look at the manifold you'll see its about 10-15mm away from the body at on point, the holley manifold is a fair bit wider in that area and will hit the firewall

I looked into building a hot 250 for my van but decided to fit a 460

Hey Dean just bend up a peice of round bar and make it look like an EGR pipe

Edited by Gassed250, 01 July 2009 - 12:11 AM.

#18 deankdx

deankdx
  • PipPipPip
  • 4003 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:46 AM

just looking through a ford workshop manual and thers no EGR pipe on the transit

The problem with fitting the holley isnt the width of the actual carb but the manifold itself, if you take your engine cover off and look at the manifold you'll see its about 10-15mm away from the body at on point, the holley manifold is a fair bit wider in that area and will hit the firewall

I looked into building a hot 250 for my van but decided to fit a 460

Hey Dean just bend up a peice of round bar and make it look like an EGR pipe

i've seen holley manifolds where the carb mounted sideways, looked like it might fit? much narrower.

as for the EGR, its on and working(well hooked up) if they pick on the clearance issue i'll tell them they never came with it and fully remove it if they allow it.
if they let the cracks in the lenses pass etc i'll jump through some differnt hoops for them like the EGR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users