Your states roadworthy laws

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 andruz

andruz
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

As the title says what are you roadworthy laws in your state? Just wondering what the easiest state to have a modified car is. S.A used to be causual. We would drive the car over on sunday afternoon to the cop shop and they would check for lights and no bad bad leaks then be on your way. But i think that has changed now.
Cleveland not just a town in the states!

#2 XE LENT

XE LENT
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

Yeah SA are casual as, no road worthies unless you get defected and unless you get a regency you are aight. Both times I've been defected they only got me for one thing and not even looked for others. I was only done for minor things though.

Best thing is you can buy or sell whatever car you want with out needing rwc's. :P

#3 Cruizin Central

Cruizin Central
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

Heyo,

NSW is quite strict. I've heard Tassy is pretty relaxed to, apparently cars dont even need go for anuual inspection. (my source is a dumba$$ so i'm not sure how accurate that is.)

Ren.

#4 Xfish

Xfish
  • PipPipPip
  • 1157 posts
  • Car:351xf + 250xf

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

WA is casual but their strict on...ride height is a minimum of 10cm from the ground. Headlights have a minimum of 50cm from the ground.

Cars are only inspected if they run out of rego....or get yellowed stickered.
I remember in queensland that they're cars are inspected if they run out of rego or change owners.....

#5 GLDRSH

GLDRSH
  • xFalcon Event Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 2390 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:52 PM

we get a roadrorthy cheack done if we change owners,get pulledo ver and the cop thinks it needs it, canary'd ,run out of rego,change plates etc etc etc

quite strict imo but ive only had to go over twice

WWW.TURBO351.COM

Posted Image

#6 blackjack_original

blackjack_original
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

Queensland would be the best state to be in, if you want to have a modified car. In fact, Queensland is also know as the "easy plate state", referring to how easy it is to obtain a mod plate.
As I understand it, things are changing though. Some plans in the pipeline to make all the laws the same across the whole of Australia. Could be good, because an engineering certificate for an engine conversion in SA is around $3000. In QLD I think it's around $200 for the guy to come and check out your car, and than they mail you a mod plate. Could be bad if they make it $3000 across the whole Australia though.
The laws vary on what car you drive. If you drive an import, here in SA that's the strongest kind of cop bait. Old-school cars get hassled the least, but again depending on how modified they are.

#7 Booma11

Booma11
  • PipPipPip
  • 1183 posts
  • State:QLD
  • Car:89 EA, 83 ZK

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

WA is casual but their strict on...ride height is a minimum of 10cm from the ground. Headlights have a minimum of 50cm from the ground.

I don't reckon they measure ride height like that here in SA. I got defected a little while back for my car being too low, and the cop go his tape out :cop: and measured between the centre of the wheel and and the top of the wheel arch. My car would have been legal ride height if that 10cm rule applied.

Posted Image

^^^The 91 XF Pano Project^^^

Im keen to see the purple beast actually..

#8 blackjack_original

blackjack_original
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:33 PM

The police in SA measure at eyebrow height. That means, wheel centre to top of wheel arch. This is apparently to ensure that you have legal amounts of suspension travel. But the 10cm rule also applies. So, you might have a legal eyebrow height, but your exhaust might be 8cm from the ground, and you will cop a defect for it.

#9 BIGCAV

BIGCAV
  • Platinum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 13989 posts
  • State:VIC
  • Car:82 LTD

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:34 PM

Heyo,

NSW is quite strict. I've heard Tassy is pretty relaxed to, apparently cars dont even need go for anuual inspection. (my source is a dumba$$ so i'm not sure how accurate that is.)

Ren.

lol nsw are strict lmao, i used to live on the border, albury wodonga, and have a vic licence and have bought a car form nsw with a pink slip or whatever your equivilent is, my car passed that no worries so i bought it and brought it into vic and there was about 12 things i needed to do. i know of 2 friends from there who have done the same things and same applied to them.

vic sucks arse for rwc but atleast rego is cheaper

#10 XF0747

XF0747
  • PipPipPip
  • 10324 posts
  • Car:XF Ghia Turbo

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:06 PM

in vic we are strict as when it comes to RWC

Chris' Porting Service
Cylinder Head & Manifold Porting
Street & Race Engines
0404 626 742

Posted Image

#11 90XF_ute

90XF_ute
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Car:SY Territory

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

The police in SA measure at eyebrow height. That means, wheel centre to top of wheel arch. This is apparently to ensure that you have legal amounts of suspension travel. But the 10cm rule also applies. So, you might have a legal eyebrow height, but your exhaust might be 8cm from the ground, and you will cop a defect for it.

hey mate. do you know what it is for XF's?

#12 brodzta

brodzta
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

yeah i agree with x0747.. vics are anal about it... i got pulled up because my fuse cover wasnt secured properly?? but its good because we dont have to get one done every year like NSW
85 XF Fairmont Ghia-
monro GT gas shocks, on gas, 4.1 EFI, stock.... for the moment

85 Laser ghia.. runaround/flog about
pushrods = :hy:

#13 Booma11

Booma11
  • PipPipPip
  • 1183 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

I would like to know this aswell, I really don't wanna get my ride defected (it would be my 3rd in a row :P)

Posted Image

#14 brodzta

brodzta
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

depends what you want to know... XF's.. i got pulled up on rust in the drivers sill. c-pillar drivers side.hairline cracks in the driving lights. crack in the tail light. drivers window regulator wouldnt work. rear tyres scrubbed out..

its 22 bloody years old
85 XF Fairmont Ghia-
monro GT gas shocks, on gas, 4.1 EFI, stock.... for the moment

85 Laser ghia.. runaround/flog about
pushrods = :hy:

#15 blackjack_original

blackjack_original
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:31 AM

I would like to know this aswell..<snip>

Ah, well here comes a tricky bit. There was a PDF floating around with all the eyebrow heights for most cars, somewhere on the transport SA web page and/or on the DOTARS web page. I haven't been able to find this document since. However, as I recall, xf's, and zl's had numbers listed, not as the distance between the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch, but from the bump stop, to the wishbone I think. What that translates to in distance to the wheel arch, is anyone's guess.

I will try and find this document again.

EDIT: Minimum bump clearance for XF, Front:40, Rear: 66, presumably in millimetres.

#16 blackjack_original

blackjack_original
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

Ok, here is a collection of much important links for modifications.

National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification (NCOP)

http://www.dotars.go...n/vsb_ncop.aspx

The Australian Design Rules (ADR's)

http://www.dotars.go...adr_online.aspx

Emissions and ADR's General guide, not that important.

http://www.dotars.go...pact/index.aspx

Fact Sheet on Suspension. (SA) Track width and so on. Pays to read this even if you're from other states as it explains eyebrow height, legal track width (26mm max increase allowed for SA), and suspension height. Note; Vehicles in SA must retain 2/3 of original suspension travel, as well as comply with the 100mm/10cm rule.

Save Target as, PDF file

Information Bulletin 3; MODIFICATIONS TO PASSENGER CARS, CAR TYPE
UTILITIES AND PANEL VANS (SA)
The big book of modifications for South Australia ONLY. Pays to keep a copy of this in the car.

Save Target as, PDF file

Also attached is the document containing the list of legal eyebrow heights for various cars in South Australia, as well as the maximum allowed track width. This document is OLD, dating to 2004, and may no longer apply. It is still a good reference tool, and probably still quite accurate. Please note, that in some cases the legal height is not shown in eyebrow height but rather in minimum bump clearance. Fact sheet on suspension, already linked on this page(in this post), explains how to measure this.
Also note, the heights described in this document can be considered a safe bet in other states too, but there are no guarantees.

NOTE: File too big to be attached, will attach later.

EDIT: Never mind, found file on another web page.

Save target as, PDF ~800KB

#17 XF0747

XF0747
  • PipPipPip
  • 10324 posts
  • Car:XF Ghia Turbo

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

wish granted

Chris' Porting Service
Cylinder Head & Manifold Porting
Street & Race Engines
0404 626 742

Posted Image

#18 blackjack_original

blackjack_original
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

Thank you very muchly.

#19 PMP_WGN

PMP_WGN
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Car:AUII Fairmont

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

Tas is hell lenient... No annual checks, cops dont even bother with ride height, half of them dont have a clue. A mate got defected for a neon in the front bar and a bald tyre on the back, rotated the tire n disconnected the neon, signed a form sayin he'd fixed it n it was all good. Down here the cops are pretty good bout stuff, as long as your not rippin through the centre of town:D as for pits, as long as your lights work, seatbelts are safe, windscreen is intact and tyres have some tread you're set. Your car can even leak at a drop a minute lol. Mod plates are easy to obtain too. www.tasplates.com - anything you want on a plate. [CPMGNT] - as such.
Check it out, you can put designs n all on em.... weird but cool:hy:
] 2001 AUII Fairmont [
Mild OHC 4.0L, 5 Speed Conversion,
2.5'' Exhaust, Dumped on 20's

#20 Booma11

Booma11
  • PipPipPip
  • 1183 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

Thanks Blackjack, much appreciated

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users