I did this on the floor... With the engine still in the car it maybe harder... You might need a shorter measuring device.
1) Grab your block.. pull out all the spark plugs (i did this so i could turn the motor over easily by hand)
2) Place dipstick (or other measuring device) down the hole and turn over until the motor is at TDC (Top Dead Center).
This may take a couple of turns to make sure that the motor is at top. You can usually see this because the dipstick stops coming up and will hover slightly.
3) Use a permanent marker to mark the dipstick.
4) Put dipstick back in and turn motor until its at BDC (Bottom Dead Center)
5) Mark the point with a Marker.
6) Get out a tape and measure the distance between the lines.
3 Inches or 76mm = 302 Cleveland
3.5 Inches or 89mm = 351 Cleveland
Edited by P100_Ute, 31 May 2012 - 08:17 AM.